Help with my bubble belly molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bugshazfun

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a bubble Molly I got it two or three weeks ago and poop is hanging out of its booty lol. But should I be worried?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a bubble Molly I got it two or three weeks ago and poop is hanging out of its booty lol. But should I be worried?

How long has it been hanging? Sometimes, it happens. Make sure it isn't worms. If you think it is constipated. Feed it a smashed pea, cooked pea (not buttered or flavored or canned).

It seems like it always happens when it poops. But then it eventually falls off and then happens again

I love balloon Mollies. If its poop colored, the fish is probably just constipated now and then. If its clear or white, it could be worms. Is the fish acting normally otherwise? The pea suggestion is a good one. See if that doesn't clear it up. Poop shouldn't stay on there in a long string, as that is a possible indication of constipation.

Yeah it's in a long string… I'm feeding it betta flakes is that we are supposed to feed them?

Beta flakes are high in protein and not good for a steady diet. Mollies need plant matter and protein. Get some tropical flakes. They are better for them. You can still feed the Beta stuff every few days. I switch between tropical flakes, Beta pellets, shrimp, blood worms, and algae pellets. I found that a varied diet made for healthier mollies. Mollies will also eat things like spinach and other greens. Just boil it a few minutes and add to tank. That would provide fiber and get its poo moving. Mine would not eat the peas but eat everything else.

Agreed, flakes are not good as a staple. I feed mine betta pellets (NLS brand), betta flakes occasonally, frozen brine shrimp, blood worms, mysis shrimp, little tiny pieces of krill, Emerald Entree, daphnia, etc. All the former are frozen. I also give shrimp pellets (smashed up) and algae wafers. And I agree that mollies love green stuff! I buy the green algae sheets made by Ocean Nutrition and give them that about twice week. Fish really do need a varied diet to be in optimum health.

I have a snail so I put an algae wafers in there every week. I feed my fish beta fish food every day. Maybe I can start feeding some spinach too.

Back
Top Bottom