Help with Tank changes, gravel to sand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ewokbuns

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, whats going on? Now the reason I'm here is because I'm stumped. I don't know how to go about changing my gravel to sand. I wanted to do a complete water change than change the substrates, but I've read that you shouldn't do that. Can someone help me?

Ps: The reason I want to change is because I think it looks better, and it would benefit my African Dwarf frogs, plants, and my Cory Catfish. Heres some pics :)ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387633611.408786.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387633632.740895.jpg

What was the reason given where you read not to change substrates?

Or do you mean you should not change water and substrate at the same time?

I tend to look at it like I would if I was to be upgrading tanks. Syphon a good amount if the tank water into a bucket, (at least 50% if possible) and put all your fish, decor, heater, and if not the whole filter at least the media in there. Then go to town on the tank. Make the switch, prep the tank with treated water, decor, heater, etc. Once the sand has settled put the filter in, put the fish in, and the most important thing is to keep an eye on your parameters with daily tests to make sure that you catch a mini-cycle before it causes problems.

Not the only way, but it's the way I would do it.

EDIT: I would also acclimate the fish to the new water if you don't use the old tank water from the bucket.

Definitely take the fish out. I got the bright idea to switch sand and thought I could just take the decorations out and scoop the sand out and put in the new.
I lost most of my shrimp but luckily no fish. Tank was a mess. You will probably get a mini cycle because disturbing the substrate that much releases a lot of old gunk into the water and cause an ammonia spike.

Don't overthink it. The filter media is the most important part, so just don't clean it to well or let it dry out. Just empty everything into a bucket pull out all the gravel, dump in the sand, fill the tank back up with treated water, get everything back in. Done.

What kind of filter do you have?
Most of your bene. bacteria are in the filter& substrate, plus on the decor. And not in the water. But why would you want to do a 'complete water change' , as you said?

Back
Top Bottom