High ammonia levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nuvis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all first time posting and I wanted to start off by saying this site is awesome!

I have a 55 gal bow front with a Penguin filter and no more than a dozen fish molly and guppy mix mostly with 3 angels 2 small catfish and 1 red tail. The fish are very hearty and seem unaffected by the level of ammonia.

The tank was taken down for a year or so before we set it back up so I'm wondering if the bio wheel can go bad and not allow the tank to cycle? I have been doing 25% water changes regularly and have not been able to make a change in levels. We tested our tap water and is at 0 ppm. Our tank is currently at a solid 4ppm any suggestions?

Alright, I have a few questions.

1: What is the ammonia level reading number?
2: Are any of your other levels off at all?
3: How long has the tank been running for?
4: What species of catfish? And if by red-tail, do you mean a redtail catfish?

The best thing you could do is do a massive water change like 50% and check it than. BTW what dechlorinator do you use?

WC first of all, get it down to .25 ppm or so, .5 ppm tops.

How long have you been trying to cycle the tank? The bacteria on the biowheel won't survive being out of water for a year.

1. 4 ppm
2. No all our other levels are fine
3. The tank has been up for a 3 months now and the ammonia's been high since.
4. Small Cory Catfish and by red tail I was referring to a red tail shark

We're using the Tetra brand AquaSafe plus dechlorinator.

I'm going to grab a new bio wheel today and start with a 50% water change. Thanks for all the quick responses.

I'm using an API ammonia kit. The fish are doing great which is why I'm so baffled. My mollies even had fry and they are thriving!

Back
Top Bottom