Home depot slate tiles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll find the cheapest shipping and send you some of "upstate NY/vermonts" best slate!
Cutting takes 2 seconds!
Like poking holes also!!
Once you handle slate enough(20+ years) it is easier then using a table saw!
I'll try to find out tomorrow the cost while running errands and PM you!
I'll add that the angels should/could likely spawn on any rock/terra cotta pot(inverted).
And I really like the rock in seaweeds pic (#2) with the circles all around it!
if the wife saw it it would be one of the ones I carried all the way down and back the beach (in Wells Maine!).
Nice rock!

I gotta few rocks from Maine........

Bandit if you saw how Ann and I split the 12x12 slate we have I don't know if you'd be amused, ashamed or both :lol: I stood on it and Ann curb stomped it hanging off the side of our tiny porch... It worked! Mostly.... The trick is that I did the standing, after nearly sending her flying/breaking her ankle a few times....

Bandit if you saw how Ann and I split the 12x12 slate we have I don't know if you'd be amused, ashamed or both :lol: I stood on it and Ann curb stomped it hanging off the side of our tiny porch... It worked! Mostly.... The trick is that I did the standing, after nearly sending her flying/breaking her ankle a few times....

Dat a been funny to see! ?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did it ever rust though? Some of the fish these slates are for have a lot of personal (and actual) value.... don't know if I wanna risk it.
Yes.
I chimed in on Andys thread about the slate.
Semi mistakenly thinking they were roof type slates.
But in all honesty slate is slate.
It is iron and possibly just scrubbing them in a bucket while you notice the streaking may work fine.
Either way no chemistry expert ,but I think you need a lot of iron to cause trouble???
I have a pretty various collection of roofing slates if you want to pay shipping.
I have red(the hardest/best) doll house slates(6x12 or so) that I have used many times with out issue(discus,angels,rams).
I really wouldn't worry about what you got though.
Got lots of grey/'sea green' slates and many other colors also!!!!
Im in agreement, hell the black diamond blasting sand that is soo popular has iron in it and the fish are just fine.

Just out of interest was the rust on the surface or did it look like it was coming out of the rock?

I agree, I agree there's heaps of iron in rocks. The rock itself won't rust. Possibly some mineral could.

Just in theory, possibly - there may be very fine grained sulphides or magnetite within the slate that rusted on exposure when broken (eg where broken and exposed to water or air after breaking). Or say something was sprayed on them. If a magnet will swing and stick a bit to the slate that might suggest something. Just a guess though.

The rust is all on the surface as far as I can tell. It rubs right off. That said, fish are acting totally normal this morning so I'm not gonna screw with it until they give me a reason to.

Back
Top Bottom