How do I lower my PH level.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace

Aquarium Advice Regular
I finally got myself a water tester kit and everything checks out normal except I have a PH level of 8.0. I want to get it down to around 7.2-7.5 any advice?

25% water change doing a water change will slowly start to bring down your PH, I used to use chemicals to alter mine until i found out it can be harmful to fish, so now i just do a water change and my PH levels out, try that and tell us what happens...lata

What kind of fish do you want to keep? It is generally not anything to worry about. Stable is much more important than perfect.

I'm not sure what I want to keep in the tank anymore. Since my tanks system kinda crashed (again!?!) leaving me with just three SAE, some ammano shrimp, and a rummy nose, pencil fish, panda cory and pleco that's been through everything and I now believe they are some kind of super fish. Seriously, these are tough little guys! I can replace all the water in my tank with coca-cola tomorrow and they'll just keep on going without noticing. Anyways, I'm just trying to focus on getting my plants to grow healthy, getting rid of my beard algea problem and to get the water permitters to a good level before I try re-stocking with fish again. I might go with a ram and discus tank or maybe an african cichlid tank (bit of a challenge with plants I guess).

Africans and plants are definately challenging. You could do a South American Cichlid tank? How large is the tank?

I'm not sure that water changes will help lower the pH. That will only help if your tap is lower. Driftwood might help slightly lower it, but peat is pretty much the only thing that is lasting. Even then, you have to monitor the levels closely. I wouldn't worry about it though. I'm keeping Rams and Rummies in pH 8.2.

Back
Top Bottom