How do you feed Glolite Tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

10Gallon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got 6 young small(about 3/4 inch 2cm)Glolite Tetras to finish stocking the 10 gallon. I decided to put them in a QT. I did not feed them the first day. The last 2 days I put grinded up flakes in the tank. They will not come to the top to get floating flakes. I see 3 or 4 of them go after bits of food that is sinking to the bottom and it seems they're not eating enough. Do they eat off the top or does the food have to be falling? They look very healthy.

As stated above they are acclimating to their new environment. Ive also found that some fish need to get used to seeing you and associating you with food. A good ice breaker is frozen blood worms. Cut a cube in half.. let it thaw...suck some up in a turkey baster and introduce it to them. Blood worms seem to be like candy for fish. Once they get used to you feeding them...add your flakes. Worked good for me in the past.

Last night some of them actually came to the top and got some grinded up flakes that wee floating. They're learning how to get floating food. But I have frozen brine shrimp, so I may go to Walmart and get a turkey baster and feed some to them.

For some fish I pre wet food in cup with tank water.
It makes the food float in the water column.
Pour in the outflow of the filter and it may have enough movement to really interest them. I found 'trick training ' some fish didn't take more then a couple weeks to month before they knew what the guy next to the tank was about to do.

For some fish I pre wet food in cup with tank water.
It makes the food float in the water column.
Pour in the outflow of the filter and it may have enough movement to really interest them. I found 'trick training ' some fish didn't take more then a couple weeks to month before they knew what the guy next to the tank was about to do.
Very true. My angel knows the order of food I'm going to feed him. He will actually wait for the one he wants then come to the front of the tank when I'm about to add his favorite.
Last night some of them actually came to the top and got some grinded up flakes that wee floating. They're learning how to get floating food. But I have frozen brine shrimp, so I may go to Walmart and get a turkey baster and feed some to them.

I got the baster last night and fed them frozen brine shrimp. They loved it. But this morning one died. Don't know why. They looked healthy. Hope all goes well with the 5 remaining ones. In about a week I'll take them out of the QT and put them in the 10G. I suspect the White Clouds will show them where the food is-they definitely know :)

I had glolights a while back and they never came to the top for food. They always ate from midwater what the filter pushed down. Probably if I didn't have such a strong filter they would have learned to go after the ones at the top but they definitely prefer the lower levels of the tank. And yes, once I moved them out of quarantine by necessity of competition they started to go after the food more aggressively.

Regarding the one that you lost I would check the water parameters in case maybe a little overfeeding caused any spikes, but new fish are stressed and often not in great shape to begin with. Could just be that one didn't handle acclimatization as well.

My only source of fish locally is a petsmart and I usually just buy a few more than necessarily expect to make it because there is almost always a loss or two in the first couple days.

Back
Top Bottom