How do you teach a new fish to eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought some new killies and they aren't the brightest...I provided some brine shrimp and blood worms (freeze dried) and they won't eat it! I got them from a breeder who said that's what they feed them. The female (peaches) nibbles and then spits it out while the male (Crimson) doesn't show any interest in it at all. I left the food thinking maybe they'd eat some later but then I caused a huge ammonia spike I'm sure. Ugh! This is so frustrating. Naughty little fish aren't they? It's like trying to get kids to eat vegetables. How do you train your fish to eat when you first get them? I'm afraid my poor killies will starve if they don't eat soon. They haven't had food for 3 or 4 days! Thank you guys!

NatureFish
????

try live blackworms if you can get them at the lfs. After you get them eating live foods then gradually introduce frozen brine shrimp/worms into the mix and eventually you can then try dried foods.
freeze dried foods can be tricky even with the most ravenous fish.

+1 Live foods are the best "Go to" food when fish don;t eat. If they refuse live foods, there's a good chance the fish are not in the right situation in the tank.

Hope this helps (y)

My LFS is not the best and most of the time they don't carry anything but freeze dried and flakes.

NatureFish
????

I could try culturing misquito larvae but not sure if they'd like it or not. They are super picky.

NatureFish
????

It takes a very long time for fish to starve to death. I have some kissing gouramis in quarantine that haven't a eaten in the 6 weeks I've had them, and they can last much longer than that. I'm sooooo glad I quarantine. I'm treating them with various meds.

With regards to your fish, they are new and likely stressed which is likely why they are not eating. Give them some more time to settle in, withholding food. Then try again.

It takes a very long time for fish to starve to death. I have some kissing gouramis in quarantine that haven't a eaten in the 6 weeks I've had them, and they can last much longer than that. I'm sooooo glad I quarantine. I'm treating them with various meds.

With regards to your fish, they are new and likely stressed which is likely why they are not eating. Give them some more time to settle in, withholding food. Then try again.

Ok thanks. I'm super sad my killi eggs just got eaten while I was gone...their little DIY floating breeder box tipped...

NatureFish
????

I now just have one egg left.
Poor little egg!

NatureFish
????

Should have gone with livebearers....oh well. 15 eggs are gone forever maybe 16 is the charm!

NatureFish
????

Its sir lol. Nice name too

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I should have guessed you were a sir since "wrangler" usually implies a cowboy and not a cowgirl...at least I put a sir/ma'am and not just ma'am! Lol

NatureFish
????

I should have guessed you were a sir since "wrangler" usually implies a cowboy and not a cowgirl...at least I put a sir/ma'am and not just ma'am! Lol

NatureFish
????

No problem. I try and keep screen names the same for all the websites I'm on. If you see my name on one forum and then another it most likely me :)

No problem. I try and keep screen names the same for all the websites I'm on. If you see my name on one forum and then another it most likely me :)

Cool! Those silly killies just realized what brine shrimp is! Only one problem....they are top feeders and they are trying to dive down under the plants that are in the sand and scoop the brine up in their mouths. It's really bizarre to see. It looks like they are playing volleyball!

NatureFish
????

My killis would eat from the surface while the pellets were still floating and then they would follow them down to the bottom and eat from there.

Cool! Those silly killies just realized what brine shrimp is! Only one problem....they are top feeders and they are trying to dive down under the plants that are in the sand and scoop the brine up in their mouths. It's really bizarre to see. It looks like they are playing volleyball!

NatureFish
????

Lol! Can you take a video next time?

Back
Top Bottom