How fast can old filter/substrate seed a new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish24907

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, last Thursday I transitioned from my old 5 gallon tank to a new 20 gallon tank and I moved my filter and substrate over from the old tank to the new tank.

I had been running both my old 5 gallon filter and a new one in my new tank. Yesterday though, my old filter broke.

So today I ran some tests (API master kit liquid tests), and my Ammonia and Nitrite levels are both 0 or very close to it (y).

Is it possible that my new tank has already been successfully "seeded" in only 7 days?

Yes it is very possible.
But make sure theres an ammonia source pr the bacteria will DIE!!!!

Fish24907 said:
So, last Thursday I transitioned from my old 5 gallon tank to a new 20 gallon tank and I moved my filter and substrate over from the old tank to the new tank.

I had been running both my old 5 gallon filter and a new one in my new tank. Yesterday though, my old filter broke.

So today I ran some tests (API master kit liquid tests), and my Ammonia and Nitrite levels are both 0 or very close to it (y).

Is it possible that my new tank has already been successfully "seeded" in only 7 days?

I did seed my 2nd tank, a 10 gallon one, with some media from my 60. It took about 7 days to cycle. So yes that will be possible.

Possible, but what have you been using to promote the growth of bacteria (i.e. what is your source of ammonia)? To simply say they are currently zero means nothing, if you didn't have something in there to insure that they were over zero to begin with.

Hello fish...

The new 20 G cycled instantly. The only thing is you can't fully stock the 20 G and expect the bacteria from your 5 G to handle the added waste. You'll have to do the standand testing and water changes until the ammonia and nitrites consistently read "0" and the bacteria has grown enough to take care of the added waste. Only then can you add more fish to the new tank. The 20 G will simply cycle a little faster.

B

Cool, thanks guys. I'll keep running tests and make sure my new tank is completely ready before adding more fish.

And my source of ammonia is my four young Zebra Danios. I want to get their little school up to the recommended minimum (6) as soon as my tank is ready for it.

Also, my old filter's motor is broken, but I am leaving it in the tank (it's an in-tank filter) so that the filter media with its beneficial bacteria is still submerged in the water. Today I threw a strong bubble maker under the broken filter, so maybe this can circulate the water around the broken filter media enough so that the beneficial bacteria can still consume some ammonia and nitrites.

Back
Top Bottom