How has driftwood affected your pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishayFishay

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was really curious on the levels of peoples pH before and after they introduced driftwood to their tank. Let me know guys and provide pictures and what type of driftwood it is.

I'm going to introduce driftwood to my tank real soon not only for the design but to drop my pH that's pretty high to what I'd actually want. It's 8.2, what do you all think it'll drop too and how much do you think it will affect my fish in a negative or positive way.

The only problem with using drift wood to lower ph is that the ph lowering is directly affected by the amount of tannins in the water. The tannins are what make a tank turn brown with drift wood and most people hate them.

I have an abundance of tannins in my tank, but I don't really ever measure the pH so I can't tell you what the effect is.

I do know that 8.2 is perfectly fine for just about every type of fish we keep in the hobby so if I were you, I wouldn't worry about pH soo much.

FF, what fish do you have? Bogwood can lower Ph, but how much depends on your Kh. My tank is 6 Kh, lots of bog wood and a steady Ph 7. Most fish will adapt and accept higher or lower Ph but over the years I have found most thrive at about Ph 7.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

FF, what fish do you have? Bogwood can lower Ph, but how much depends on your Kh. My tank is 6 Kh, lots of bog wood and a steady Ph 7. Most fish will adapt and accept higher or lower Ph but over the years I have found most thrive at about Ph 7.

I have a bristlenose Pleco and white skirt tetras. I kinda wanted driftwood just for the "natural" look and it excited me more when I heard it'll drop pH. I'm satisfied but I just know the fish and plants would thrive at their most preferred pH level which is around 7

As Mebbid said, tannins are what is lowering the ph. The pH on my tank with driftwood is the same as the pH without driftwood. No chemicals or buffers or anything

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi FF, if you want the look of drift wood or bog wood then use it. It may slowly drop the Ph, which would not be altogether a bad thing with tetras and BN, but if it doesn't then I wouldn't try to play around chemically with the Ph. Whilst I believe 7 is a good all round Ph for most fish, stability is more important.

I have Mongolian vine wood (whatever that is) and Australian hard wood. Both seem to have had only a minor effect on ph (if anything) when sunk and they've been in there years now. Both hardly changed water colour at all.

It's going to be important to know your KH first. Since high KH prevents pH from dropping, you might see little to no effect.

Knowing how they worked for others also isn't helpful unless you know their KH, and probably their tap pH and water change habits.

I put 5lbs of mopani wood in a 56 gallon column tank. I have really soft water so I supplement the water up to 3-4 GH and KH. I liked the tint, in fact let it get pretty dark, and the ph dropped a little. Wanting to keep the tannins but not go acidic I consulted LFS (a large store on the same water supply as me) and was told all I needed was KH of 4 to keep ph stable. They were right it had slipped to 3, and bringing it up a touch now keeps my tannin-filled tank stable. The pH stays at whatever it was out of the tap, so far.

I've heard different explanations of how peat works ... Whether it adds acid or reduces KH. I believe if it just adds acid you'll see no effect if you have high KH. Or you'll see bouncy ph. If it reduces KH and adds acids then maybe, but I also hear a lot about instability this way.

So anyway. Driftwood might do nothing but stain the water, but it probably also wouldn't hurt if you have high KH.

Still I wouldn't try to move your ph without a better understanding of how hardness and ph are related. There's a reason craigslist is full of ads for cheap fish tank setups "only used for a few months, comes with ph up, ph down, proper ph, an almost full bottle of fish food, ich treatment, antibiotics, and melafix."

Sure peat and wood and coral and all that are natural and don't change things as drastically as chemicals but changing pH is like putting brakes on your car: not something that's extremely difficult to understand, but something you don't change until you're sure of how the parts relate.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I love the car brakes analogy.
Totally agree that Ph and Kh need to be considered together rather than separately. I have found that Kh of 6 seems to work quite well and stabilises Ph without raising it.

Back
Top Bottom