How long does it take for aquarium bacteria to first appear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Denbros

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started cycling my fish tank. I already did my research and bought everything I need. How long does it take for the bacteria to first appear? As in like the littlest cell of bacteria to first appear in the tank. I already left gravel, filter, and a source of ammonia. + water conditioner.

Thanks! ;-)

I started cycling my fish tank. I already did my research and bought everything I need. How long does it take for the bacteria to first appear? As in like the littlest cell of bacteria to first appear in the tank. I already left gravel, filter, and a source of ammonia. + water conditioner.

Thanks! ;-)

The bacteria are already present just in very small amounts. However nitrifying (autotrophic) bacteria double every 12 to 24 hours (so very slow population increase), while sludge destroying heterotrophic bacteria double every half hour or so.

It's the heterotrophic bacteria which can cause a bacterial bloom when they get ahead of themselves when a tank is first set up. Once the tank stabilises, the bloom of cloudy, white water should go.

The bacteria are already present just in very small amounts. However nitrifying (autotrophic) bacteria double every 12 to 24 hours (so very slow population increase), while sludge destroying heterotrophic bacteria double every half hour or so.

It's the heterotrophic bacteria which can cause a bacterial bloom when they get ahead of themselves when a tank is first set up. Once the tank stabilises, the bloom of cloudy, white water should go.

Geez that sounds a lot better than my answer of "it varies from tank to tank" lol.

Back
Top Bottom