How much algae is too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sciencegirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've just started to stock my 10 g tank - last night I got 6 neon tetras (the tank had already cycled). I've noticed that there is a bit of algae growing on one of my decorative rocks, and it's just on the section that is closest to the light. I have live plants in there, and so far there's no algae on the aquarium sides. Is it bad to have any algae? It doesn't seem out of control (yet)...should I be concerned?

I really don't know if a healthy system should have any algae in it at all. If it's a prolbem, can I just physically scrape it off? I don't want to buy an algae eater, because of the size of my tank and the agressive nature of the algae eaters- I'm sort of holding out for a couple of little cories instead. Any advice is appreciated.

Algae is a normal part of any tank. To lessen it, check your nitrate levels, do not overfeed the fish (once a day max) and vacuum the gravel weekly.

If you can find a pitbull pleco (2-3"), that would be perfect for your tank and you could still have cories.

Back
Top Bottom