How Much Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alvarez

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have the 56 gallon with the Rainbow Shark, the 4 Yellow Lab's and right now 2 Zebra Danios.

I know the Zebra Danios will become lunch when the Labs get big enough and will be moved as well as the Rainbow Shark if there are any problems. However thats not my question.

How much food should I give the fish? I read reports that they should be fed daily, 2-3 times daily... and A cichlid breeder here in town said that the fish should be fed about every 3rd day.

He said most people overfeed which leads to having to clean the tank too often and fish deaths.

Who is right and how much food should be given per feeding?

I think the best way to feed fish is minute amounts a few times a day. However, most people if told to feed their fish 3X a day would grossly overfeed. If you fed the fish a few times a day they should only have enough food to finish everything in sight in apx 30 sec. That's what I try to do anyway. Also the fish should always act like they are starving and beside themselves with excitement when you come near the tank. If they aren't acting that way they are probably overfed. Fish can survive days without food so you could feed them every 3rd day but I wouldn't do it that way. I wouldn't think they would grow as fast, have as high an immune system, or have as intense colors that way but I could be wrong.

only prob i have is the danios and cichlids eat EVERYTHING if feed just small amounts my rainbow shark won't get anything from the bottom... how do i compensate?

Alvarez said:
only prob i have is the danios and cichlids eat EVERYTHING if feed just small amounts my rainbow shark won't get anything from the bottom... how do i compensate?

anyone have any ideas? should I push some food down or not worry about it? The rainbow shark mainly just eats off the side of the decorations and glass anyways.

My rainbow shark likes Algae Wafers. After feeding the others, just drop an algae wafer, or one of the other kinds of wafers, and he'll be good. Might even try 1 or 2 shrimp pellets to see if he'll go for that. As for the flakes, my rainbow comes out and eats flakes with the others when he's hungry. But really likes his algae wafer. And what's left when he's done, the CAE's finish.

Back
Top Bottom