How should treat this driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiroptera

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just bought a brand new piece of driftwood.. For complications' sake, since my current tank is small (and I'm upgrading soon) most of my decor is fake, but my new pleco needed some wood to chew.

1. This thing is spewing tannis
2. It's infested with snails
3. It's been in a LFS tank for a few months

I was going to just wash and scrub it in my sink with steaming hot water, but.. Do I need to boil it? Or is there another way?

I'd just boil it over and over for an hour or two ... that'll help
deal with any pests and tannins issues. Depending on what type, you can boil it for hours and it'll still put out some tannins.

If you soak it in salt water it will kill off everything. But boiling really is the only quick way to get rid of tannins

Well.. Boiled for 15 minutes, the tannis has stopped.. Guess being in the LFS helped. I should have killed off any buggers on it.. But I'll wait longer just in case

You can boil it, but I got a show piece that was so large it was impossible to boil. It barely squeezed through the top of my tank. Needless to say it leaked so much tannin into my tank which was actually good for the water hardness. It softened the water and now after water changes the water is softer and the brown colour has gone. Unboiled wood isn't all bad.

Speaking from past experience I don't take anything from the wilderness and put it into my tank. Had river rocks in my tank with my cichlids' it had some bad effects. My nitrate levels went threw the roof and I had some pests as my fish started to flare.

Araess said:
Speaking from past experience I don't take anything from the wilderness and put it into my tank. Had river rocks in my tank with my cichlids' it had some bad effects. My nitrate levels went threw the roof and I had some pests as my fish started to flare.

Ouch.. I'm sorry. I just need driftwood (and again, this stuff wasn't directly from the wild, they'd probably have boiled it first, it just looked like it was leaking tannis, which it wasn't, and had snails, which I got rid of) for my pleco, because to keep his health up he needs wood to chew.

I have driftwood (straight out of Missouri creeks) and rocks in my tank straight out of the "wild". Everything is properly tested, soaked and boiled (if needed) before going into the tank. And I have not had a problem with any of my pieces

Back
Top Bottom