How to get more Watts/gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have on the way to me a CustomSeaLife PC fixture, 96watts, and 8800K.
Problem is thats only a little over 2 watts/gallon. Which is considered low level lighting. I want to grow Anachris,Cabomba,micro-sword, and I have three Amazon Swords already. How do I get more watts/gallon? I think PC fixtures top out at 96watts. MH is just too expensive. VHO and HO are usually huge fixtures(tank is 36' across)

there is a 24 inch VHO setup w/ ballast for 145.00, plus bulbs (18-24 dollars each) www.hellolights.com The ballast will power upto 440 watts, 16 feet of bulb, and 2,3 or 4, bulbs total. W/ some DIY.

No problem going with a dual PC 96W fixture. That would double our intensity. I think you will be impressed with the output of the single PC bulb.

Cool, Thanks Guys. Well what I would like to see if a CustomSeaLife fixture with two PC lamps, but I don't think they make one. I had a Coralife, and I wasn't impressed with the quality, and didn't like th placement of the reflector. At least I know now that there are PC's that can get more watts then 96. I take that back CustomSeaLife makes a couple different hoods with more then one bulb, they are very very expensive though. BigAl's had the one I wanted for $400.00 :x

I should mention one more thing. The light I have ordered is not for my 20gal tank, It's for the bigger 46gal tank. Thats why I was concerned about having enough watts, My swords that are in my tank now are struggling, and I had a 65watt PC lamp on there.

Im just gonna toss out a few links to some products online.

http://www.hellolights.com/362xcofraq2x.html
SALE $196

2 X 96W PC fixture from Coralife. The fixture is 36" long and has two bulbs.

Another route is to construct a custom canopy yourself and put the bulbs and reflectors in. Those of use in the SW side of the hobby often do this.

http://www.ahsupply.com/96watt.htm

2 X 96W Light kit (excludes bulbs) $115

The second would require you to build a box to cointain the lights as well as to wire up the ballast to the endcaps and mount the reflectors.

Back
Top Bottom