How to make air pump quiet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
while i cant speak on behalf of that product, i have a Rena air pump that i can barely hear. The only way to hear it is to open up the cabinet door. I hear the air stone sizzle more :D

I dont think there would be a way to make it quieter, the only thing i would recommend is to be sure there is nothing near the pump or the line/stop valve to rattle against.

-Pleco

i put a folded washcloth under my pumps to stop the vibrations, i notice a difference

(note: i dont have that brand)

EdgarMedina1010 said:
yeah ive been doing research and it sounds like rena air pumps are the best sellers and most quiet. thanks

I bought mine from PetsMart about a month ago when they were $5.00 off. The PetsMarts around me regularly have sales on them, i would check out the Sunday circular.

I love my pets perks card :D

-Pleco

I actually have the larger version of that same brand. They are quite noisy. I tied a string to mine and suspended it about three inches under a sturdy support (it was a shelf bracket that the air pump used to sit on) That drastically reduced the noise. Then I decided one day that I didn't want bubbles anymore and removed it from my tank.

Now it is real quiet :wink:

HTH

I had the same pump for about 2 days then I tossed it in the trash. We tried everything to get it quiet. Setting it on sponges and wash cloths did not work. I could hear it two rooms away. Then I bought the Marineland and it is silent. You can't hear it running at all. We have replaced all of our air pumps with this brand.

I am currently using four of the Rena air pumps to drive air stones and sponge filters on various tanks. They are very quiet and well worth the expense. I would recommend getting the Rena Air 100 model. I've found that to be sufficient for a tank of 10 gallons volume.

bman said:
I actually have the larger version of that same brand. They are quite noisy. I tied a string to mine and suspended it about three inches under a sturdy support (it was a shelf bracket that the air pump used to sit on) That drastically reduced the noise. Then I decided one day that I didn't want bubbles anymore and removed it from my tank.

Now it is real quiet :wink:

HTH

I've heard that works the best. By suspending it in air, it won't have anything to vibrate against.

I have a Whisper and Profile pumps runnign in my bedroom. At night, I put a cloth over them to dampen the sound. The pumps are warm, but not hot, so therefore there is not too much danger in leaving a flammable object on them for 7 hours or so.

thanks for the replies, I bought a rena 50 air pump and at first I dint think it was working until i hooked it up to the air line tubing , It really is pretty quiet!

Back
Top Bottom