huge water changes making tank worse? fish in trouble?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turbovr6

Aquarium Advice Regular
God this is getting stressful.....
150gal tank appeared to cycle well. Added 5 gourami. 1 week after ammonia started to rise. did some 25% water changes ammonia levels were still around 1ppm. Last night I did a 50-60% water change and added dechlor... tested ammonia it was about .25ppm. Just now 20 hours later the ammonia level jumped to 4ppm and the water is getting cloudy.

What the heck should I do. My local LFS is really good, and they do carry biospira. Should I go get some? I'm really confused about what is happening and how to fix it before my fish die!

You have two options: Either keep doing large water changes, or add bio-spira quickly. Your ammonia is way too high.

The water changes are definitely not the problem. It doesn't sound like your tank cycled, or else you should not be getting that much ammonia. Even with five gouramis, your ammonia should not be jumping up that quick. What type of gouramis do you have? What did you do to cycle your tank? Do you have nitrites? Give us your total parameters. Have you added dechlor every time you've done a water change?

Thats alot of biosperia.. its also alot of water. its a tough call, I'll give you another option..

option 3, return the fish to the store and do a fishless cycle.

True. But I'm thinking that if the OP isn't going for a full bioload at this time, a smaller dose of bio-spira should be fine for the amount of ammonia produced by 5 gouramis. The 3 oz. is enough to dose a 90 gallon tank. I would think that should be sufficient with the fish listed, and then some. Then, any later stocking would have to be done slowly, but that would be the case anyway.

I did a fishless cycle using the raw shrimp method. I had all the spikes and drops as expected. The only mistake I may have made was taking out the shrimp then waiting 4 days before I added the fish.
Right now the ammonia is at 3-4ppm nitrites are 0ppm and nitrates are about 4-5ppm.

If the Biospira really has a chance of fixing this I don't mind spending the $50 or so.

If the Bio-Spira has been kept refrigerated, and if you follow the instructions, it should work. It is instant bacteria colonies. Here's what I would do in your situation if you are not averse to spending the money on the Bio-Spira: Do another significant pwc (I hope you have a python for a tank that size and aren't using the bucket method). Then go out and get the 3 oz. size of Bio-Spira, and see if that does the trick.

3-4 days may or may not have been the problem. I would not think all of your bacteria would have starved out during that time, but I'm not sure how long it takes. Again, are you adding a sufficient amount of dechlor each time you add new water? Chlorine and chloramines also kill bacteria. What is your ph and temp? Those can also have an effect. Also, what type of test kit are you using?

The only mistake I may have made was taking out the shrimp then waiting 4 days before I added the fish.

Yes, that did it...you lost most if not all of your bacterial colonies and are in the throes of a new one.

Your only real option is taking the gourami's back...they are not the most hardiest of fish to handle the cycle. Bio-Spira is good only if it is added before fish. JMO.

I have a python thank the Lord!!!
PH is about 7.2 temp is 78F. I'm sure I used the correct amount of dechlor. I'm using the aquarium pharm master test kit. I guess I'll go buy some biospira and change out the water again.
Damn my water bill is going to be rough!!!!!

ehhh you would be supprised at how much water it takes to actually make a big dent in a water bill..

well.. I still think it would be safer (not to mention alot less work) to return the fish untill you can make certian you have your cycle completed correctly.

I would strongly suggest removing the gourami's (if possible), then either re-cycle the tank (whether with the bio-spira or not). This wild ride the gourami's are in for is not the best method for them. JMO.

When we did fish in cycles back in the day it wasn't with sensitive fish.

(I just had this strange feeling that BillD was sneeking up on my post :p )

Haha, geenmaji. Interesting scenario. I can't imagine 5 gouramis causing an ammonia spike in a 150, in a week. That tank should soft cycle with that much water.

What about taking the fish and placing them in a smaller more manageable tank temporarily. Recycle the 150 fishless. Now you only need to keep a close eye on the smaller tank. Just a suggestion.

Good Luck,
Brian

BillD said:
Haha, geenmaji. Interesting scenario. I can't imagine 5 gouramis causing an ammonia spike in a 150, in a week. That tank should soft cycle with that much water.

Yes, Yes, I would also expect that if a 90% water change happened to be needed at some point (say day 5) that only and experanced fish in tank cycler would be ready for the challege (knowing when to do it).
I would also expect someone that had never done a fish in cycle to be wanting to feed there hungry fish :wink:
Thus the feeling of you sneeking up on my post.. :p

In other words.. is this possible? yes..
If I was just now starting in the hobby would I even try this? No..

Back
Top Bottom