hungry danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mappy306

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My zebra danios eat all the food before my other fish have time to get a nibble. Not sure what to do. Im feeding tetra min flakes. I spread the flakes around the top of the tank and they just get after it. The little bit that sinks gets to the cardinals but its not much. Any suggestions to help the cardinals get a bit more to eat.
4 zebra danios
1 dwarf guorami
3 cardinal tetras
2 julii coris

I know, I will be adding a couple cardinals and julis this week to complete the school.

pinch the flakes in between your fingers, then put your fingers in the water and release, the flakes should sink right away making it easier for everyone else.

for the cories id suggest some type of sinking pellet

also id suggest using a different food then tetra, they are pretty horrible, just look at the ingredients and you see all the fillers (brown rice, potato product, corn meal and various others). Id suggest omega one (you can get these from petsmart) or anything else really lol.

Ill try that. I also feed omega one shrimp pellets and blood worms. Petsmart was out of omega one's flakes. Hope to get some soon. Overall everyone seems to be doing well.

Thanks!

hi. my danios also love getting all the food first which seems unfair to the dwarf gouramis and cories. besides flakes, i also feed live brine shrimp. by putting in a whole bunch at one time among the floating plants, everyone gets a least a few shrimp. i feed the cories sinking wafers to make sure they get enough to eat.

They are like little vacuums. I should be more generous with the food since the corys can clean up the bottom. And the danios are pretty good at cleaning up too.

I have Zebra Danios too (aka. minnows with superchargers). My trick is to feed them some flake food and while they are spazing out, I drop some small pellet fish food away from them. It sinks pretty fast and the other fish get their chance. I swear, My zebras are all over the tank looking for food. They are as good at bottom feeding as my Corys. LOL
OS.

They are good bottom feeders! Lol. I put a few blood worms in... the danios will take one in and swim around with it hanging out of their mouths. Lol then i put in a pinch under the surface and the cardinals got a bit more to eat. Pretty funny. You just have to see it.

I keep danios and the way I solve this problem is very simple, I just soak the flakes first so that they will sink and the danios catch them as they float down.

Whoops, in my last post I was supposed to say, your other fish can eat the flakes as they sinks and leave the danios with the food on the surface. Sorry!

Back
Top Bottom