Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2004, 11:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I can use all the algae advice I can get

I have a 15 gal tank with 11 fish and one ADF. It is in my office, in front of plate glass window. I know it probably gets too much light, but I do keep my blinds partially closed so it is not exposed to direct sunlight. I have a problem with algae. I can usually control any on the glass, that is minimum. What I can't seem to get on top of is the furry stuff that grows on plants, and the little "algae tumbleweeds" on the gravel. What can I do to help this? I use a 125 biowheel with carbon filter.

Old 05-07-2004, 12:47 AM   #2

first off, 15 gals seems a lil small for 11 fish. but before i say anything more without knowing what im talking about, what kind of fish are they? you seem knowledgable about the causes of algae, and you are able to keep the algae off the tank walls for the algae on the bottom of the tank and the algae rolling around, i would suggest buying a few shrimp, if the current fish will not eat them (like my puffer! haha) they'll clean up your tank just like jacque in finding nemo. and depending on the type and size of your fish, maybe a very small pleco. though i do worry it maybe a little crowded for one. good luck with your algae!

Old 05-07-2004, 01:09 AM   #3

I have 4 neons, 2 platies, 1 tetra, 1 stick catfish, 1 adf, 1 panda loach and 2 shrimp.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:29 AM   #4

hello again. im not familar with the abreviation "adf", if you could please expand, that will help me understand your tank situation better. well since you have a couple shrimp in there, they should be helping some- but it seems not at all good enough. basically the direct light will keep that algae happy, healthy, and growing. you said you keep your blinds partially closed, it still may be too close to the window. try relocating if you can.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:23 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

African Dwarf Frog.
How often are you doing water changes and do you use a gravel vac? Aside from light, any excess nutrients (fish waste and uneaten food) is helping the algae.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 08:09 PM   #6

I do water changes about 1x month, although the past few months I went to every 2-3 weeks. Yes, I do use a gravel vac.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:16 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Whew. Lcm, most of us change water every week here. On a tank that size, this is especially important. Water quality is the #1 reason for algae growth. A more rigorous water change schedule will help you get rid of nitrates and phosphates that might be inspiring your algae to multiply.

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com