i cant find good rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
ive been searching around at stores and in my yard/woods and i cant seem to find any rocks that dont have somthing in them that looks like it could be harmful. Does anyone have any clues as to where i could find some good rocks? i have a book abount a quarter mile away, should i look there?

Have you tried your local gardening center? I found some great rocks that you would normally decorate your garden with and washed them up. I would suggest you stay away from anything that looks painted of course or has some gloss on it. Go all natural. HTH :D

Newbneedshelp said:
i have a book abount a quarter mile away, should i look there?

I gather you meant a brook? That's where I collected my rocks. Being paranoid, I choose a river system far from major population center & argricultural area, so less likely to have nasties like pesticides, etc. <I collected upstream from the first town in a semi-wilderness area.>

I am more worried about chemicals rather than "natural" stuff - like bacteria, algae, etc. The natural contaminants can be easily dealt with. (I used a combination of mild bleach, washing, & sun baking ... others have baked the rocks in oven or the BBQ!)

yeah i meant brook sorry. Also i live in an area without many agricultural areas or anything so it should be good. Ill go take a look tomorrow

Have you tried the arts & crafts department at wally world. Some nice polished stones at my local supercenter.

I've gotten river rock from walmart, for my turtles tank. Also, maybe you cand fine some around rivers? Worn river rock. I know their used to be all kinds when I'd go down to the river to hang out.

Just make sure it is clean, no dirt, not contaminated and nothing living in it.

Good Luck.

today went to a lfs about 30 min away and to my surprise they had rocks and driftwood. I think they always had it i jsut never saw it lol ( this is the fish store i buy from alot). Maybe they jsut started to carry them though.

today went to a lfs about 30 min away and to my surprise they had rocks and driftwood. I think they always had it i jsut never saw it lol ( this is the fish store i buy from alot). Maybe they jsut started to carry them though.

I've done that before! Stumbled upon an area not yet discovered. It was like..finding a treasure stockhold. "Wow, check out all this stuff!" And then shoving it all into your cart. Oh wait.. :lol:

Glad you found some stuff!

Back
Top Bottom