I find this quite odd about Fluval filters. ..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
According to Fluval, a Fluval Aquaclear 70 hang on back filter is made to handle a larger tank than a Fluval 306 canister filter...

Aquaclear 70 HOB = Up to 378 litres

Fluval 306 Canister = Up to 300 litres

So their HOB filter is better than their canister? Alot cheaper too...

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's odd.

I do love their HOB though. Canisters are too pricy when you have quality HOB.

Caleb

Yeah they are good filters (both HOB and canister) but with that marketing, why bother with the canister?

HOB is ALOT cheaper to buy
HOB is ALOT cheaper to run
HOB is ALOT easier to maintain
and now.. HOB can handle larger tank.

Debate in functionality aside, from an aesthetic point of view canisters can help with a considerably cleaner overall look. This is very important to me.

I have the aquaclear 70. Im so pleased with it. So much so that I will probably save up to buy another one for my other tank. I tried to use a canister filter and to be honest with you I was not impressed. I disliked it so much I sent it back. This is the best filter hands down imo. I prefer HOB filters.

Debate in functionality aside, from an aesthetic point of view canisters can help with a considerably cleaner overall look. This is very important to me.

+1 especially on a rimless tank. Inline heaters and CO2 or other reactors can be hooked up to a canister and placed out of sight.
I can relate to chels on the canister though. Had a not so positive experience with leaking and noise from a Fluval 206. Tried two of them and sent both back. Maybe ehiem next? Idk. AC50 working out fine so far.
Depends on the setup and users preferences IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah they are good filters (both HOB and canister) but with that marketing, why bother with the canister?

HOB is ALOT cheaper to buy
HOB is ALOT cheaper to run
HOB is ALOT easier to maintain
and now.. HOB can handle larger tank.

See I disagree with the maintenance part. Instead of weekly cleanings, I do it every three months on my fluval 306 & 406 for a total of 30 minutes for both canisters.

According to Fluval, a Fluval Aquaclear 70 hang on back filter is made to handle a larger tank than a Fluval 306 canister filter...

Aquaclear 70 HOB = Up to 378 litres

Fluval 306 Canister = Up to 300 litres

So their HOB filter is better than their canister? Alot cheaper too...

Could you post the links to show the specs on each filter please? I'm not finding what you found. Thanks

See I disagree with the maintenance part. Instead of weekly cleanings, I do it every three months on my fluval 306 & 406 for a total of 30 minutes for both canisters.

I also disagree lol I find it more of a hassle to completely disassemble my canister for cleaning which takes around 45 mins when in 10 mins I can have my entire HOB cleaned.

Caleb

I also disagree lol I find it more of a hassle to completely disassemble my canister for cleaning which takes around 45 mins when in 10 mins I can have my entire HOB cleaned.

Caleb

Ok, everyone has a different opinion. How often are you doing the 10 minute cleanings in a three month time period?

Ok, everyone has a different opinion. How often are you doing the 10 minute cleanings in a three month time period?

Aquaclear disassembles pretty easily. Pull it off, scrub in tank water with a toothbrush and throw it back together. I do that once a month or two.

Canister I gotta remove the hoses, carry it outside/bathroom take everything out, clean it, put it all back together, reattach hoses, and prime it. It takes soooo much longer at least for me.

The only credit I'll give my canister(Cascade 1000) is its quiet as a mouse and I only see the hoses and not a big box.

Caleb

Caleb

Totally agree with other posters. The 70 is a great filter. But my question to Caleb or others, what is getting cleaned. I want to make sure I'm not missing something. I Have had mine running for almost a year. I haven't cleaned anything. I pull out carbon 1/month, which I understand I don't even need. I know eventually I will need to pull out sponge and squeeze it out, but still seems to have strong flow, so I haven't disturbed it. I hope there isn't anything I am neglecting.

Kevin

Totally agree with other posters. The 70 is a great filter. But my question to Caleb or others, what is getting cleaned. I want to make sure I'm not missing something. I Have had mine running for almost a year. I haven't cleaned anything. I pull out carbon 1/month, which I understand I don't even need. I know eventually I will need to pull out sponge and squeeze it out, but still seems to have strong flow, so I haven't disturbed it. I hope there isn't anything I am neglecting.

Kevin

Over time it's good to pull the hoses and run a fast current or a brush through them as gunk can build up and restrict flow.

Caleb

Over time it's good to pull the hoses and run a fast current or a brush through them as gunk can build up and restrict flow.

Caleb

Yes, and also I would suggest every month or so to pull the filter off the tank and rinse the inside. Not the biological media, just the box and media basket. Stuff can build up in there. Also to check the motor to make sure no gunk is clogging it.

I added a fine filter foam to mine along with the coarse foam that came with it. I replace the fine foam when needed. Along with carbon once a month. Biological media stays untouched.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I bought my fluval 206 second hand for only 50$ and it's been a few months and it's been great for me. I disagree with canisters being harder to clean (except the one time I forgot to take out the hoses before I opened the thing lol). It takes me under 5 minutes to disassemble the filter, do a rinse in some tank water, and put it pack together. I personally haven't had experience with the AC Hobs but from my experience and watching cleanings of Hobs some of them seem like a hassle.

Edit: also wanted to add, it's not all about the filters GPH or LPH, it's about its abilities to actually "clean" the water too. Canisters have a lot more space for benef. bacteria to grow and I do agree, it looks more appealing.

Meese

After having Fluval/aquaclear HOB (three actually) leak by overflowing at the top, I'm all about canisters. Quieter too.

I don't use the stock filter media (no carbon for me) and have MTS and cabomba that get into the filter. Tried so many things and even when it was level weighted and freshly cleaned the filter media would "float" and start dripping over the top.

They're uglier, IMO, I guess because I'm using them as they came and the intake tube is longer and white.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

If i did every 3 months on my eheim 2217 in my discus tank, the filter would probly has no flow at all lol.. I feed my fish alot, but i also clean my canister every 2 or 3 water changes, and i do water changes every 3 or 4 days.

It honeslty isnt a problem cleaning a canister, i mean unless you have a smaller tank.. When im draining 70-80% of the water in my discus tank during the water change i can clean the canister and my internal filter with the water being drained from the hose i use to drain it and still wait for the tank to be drained after its all done.

I personally hate HOB filters, they are noisy.. and Fluval/Aquaclear HOBS are the noisiest.. I tried a 50 and 70 once and returned it the next day.. my 14 and 20 year old tetra HOB's were quieter.. I prefer internal and canisters filters now anyway.. All of my tanks except my 55g use Internal filters, and my 92g has a internal and canister.. And trust me i have 3 fish tanks in my bedroom which includes my 92g discus tank, you couldnt get me to use even the "quietest" HOB on any of those tanks because in a dead silent bedroom you still hear them... Internal filters are dampend by the water so you dont hear a peep..

And canisters well they arent as quiet as internals but they are more so then HOBS

After having Fluval/aquaclear HOB (three actually) leak by overflowing at the top, I'm all about canisters. Quieter too.

I don't use the stock filter media (no carbon for me) and have MTS and cabomba that get into the filter. Tried so many things and even when it was level weighted and freshly cleaned the filter media would "float" and start dripping over the top.

They're uglier, IMO, I guess because I'm using them as they came and the intake tube is longer and white.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

That's really weird, I have lots(like the whole series) of Aquaclear and never had one overflow.

Caleb

I dont really see how a "hob" can overflow. I mean its possible... But in my 30 yrs of fishies i havent seen it happen, or heard of it. Its designed to fill up then flow out. The only way i could see it happening is the impeller housing being removed, cleaned and maybe the wrong size one got put in. So its pulling more water than the overflow box housing can handle. But other than that its just an overflow box that holds square media. Its desifned to fill, then release. Of course, just thought abt this, if you dont level it properly it could be that the back is hanging as low/lower than flow path.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom