I found a fishbowl at work...what to do ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allivymar

Aquarium Advice Addict
Heh, I came across a 1.5-2g glass fish bowl at work, and decided I NEEEEED a fish there as well. Its one of those with 2 flat sides and 2 rounded; kinda looks like this without the net and other bits: http://www.petsmart.com/images/product/large/in603340.jpg. Would make a lovely Betta bowl! But I have some minor concerns.

I work in a school; so theres no one around over the weekend. I'm thinking I'd be more comfortable with a filter as for 2 days theres no one available to water change (although the lil guy will likely come home with me for long school vacations). Do they make a filter that would fit, and yet not overwhelm a Betta, for a tank like that? The area on the bottom is pretty damn small for an "in tank" filter; and obviously an HOB wouldn't work. I do have a Fluval 1+ that would fit in terms of space, but don't know if the outflow right in the middle of the tank (the fluval is kinda tall) would be too much for a calm water lil guy like a Betta.

Thanx :)

Thats a classic Goldfish Bowl, atleast thats what it sounds like..

And just bring the Betta home with you over the weekends! Shouldn't be to hard to find a plastic lid that would fit over the top.

Besides, youd' hvae to worry about feeding him to over the weekend.

No way LOL with my luck the bowl would somehow tip! The thought of bringing him home for longer vacations already gives me a pain LOL Although for that he would into a small container (I live 15 mins from work) and stay in my cycled QT tank for the duration.

And no worries bout feeding him over the weekend; 2 days without food won't starve a fish :)

Yeah, but.. it won't kill a human either, but would you want to go two days without eating?

*How he justifies everything, Which explains why so much fricken money is spent on his fish 8O :lol: :lol: :lol: *

Hi Allivymar,
I found a small filter on Petco.com, just to show you what it looks like:

http://www.petco.com/product_info.a...1062&c3=&ct1=Filters&ct2=Sponge+&+Corner&ct3=

It probably would fit, but I don't know what its output is like. My betta tank (5 1/2 gallon divided) has a Jungle Jr. dirt magnet sponge filter, hooked to a Tetratec 12 air pump through a gang valve. If this Small World filter was too strong, you could probably hook it up to a gang valve; you could probably hang the gang valve over the edge of the bowl. Might look a little funny, but the betta would be happy! Just be sure to place the bowl in an area where the temperature will stay stable. That's partly why I switched my guys to the tank -- the water temp. just wasn't staying stable, and one betta had the fin rot constantly, as we talked about before. Good news, though -- he's been in the tank for about 5 weeks, and his tail hasn't been this nice and long for a long time!

I suggest get a betta and you dont really need any filter as betta would do fine as long as you dont overfeed and foul the water.

And i agree that 2-4 days without food wont kill a fish :)

Back
Top Bottom