I Need Back Up ASAP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyWater2525

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi!

So I told my mom that I wanted to do a good water change on my 20g and my 10g this weekend, but she doesn't like the idea. She says they more I mess with the fish the more they will die.:nono:
She really doesn't like water changes because the first time I set up my 10 gallon, I didn't know about the nitrogen cycle, and I had tropical fish with no heater. Of course, they all died....:facepalm:So now she's afraid a water change will kill them....
I'm trying to get her to understand that a water change is good for the fish tanks and the fish!! Can anyone give me a little back up to prove to her that a water change is necessary??
Thank You so much!!!!!!:thanks:

A lot of times adults will not trust what comes out of their children's mouths the easiest way to prove it is too show her on the computer. Google the nitrogen cycle and have her read it for herself and help her to understand. if she will not read it you can go to the local stores and they normally have pamphlets about fish care. you can underline those pamphlets where they talk about the need for water changes and how critical is this way she doesn't have to read the whole thing she can just read the highlighted parts and then she'll know its not just you saying it is actually documented information. Another idea is to go to the local library and take out some fish keeping books and again you can open up the page where is explains all the maintenance required for keeping fish. This will actually also help to educate you and the rest of your family about all the proper equipment needed to maintain a fish tank such as heater water changer and so on. Also if you can somehow convince her that it was her idea in the first place more power to you!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A lot of times adults will not trust what comes out of their children's mouths the easiest way to prove it is too show her on the computer. Google the nitrogen cycle and have her read it for herself and help her to understand. if she will not read it you can go to the local stores and they normally have pamphlets about fish care. you can underline those pamphlets where they talk about the need for water changes and how critical is this way she doesn't have to read the whole thing she can just read the highlighted parts and then she'll know its not just you saying it is actually documented information. Another idea is to go to the local library and take out some fish keeping books and again you can open up the page where is explains all the maintenance required for keeping fish. This will actually also help to educate you and the rest of your family about all the proper requirements to maintain a fish tank such as heater water changer and so on. Also if you can somehow convince her that it was her idea in the first place more power to you!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, google it.

Tell her she's noob, and tell her about nitrogen cycle, and tell her you know more about it that her lol.

Tell her about nitrates/phosphates buildup must be taken out sometime.

50%WC is not big deal, I do it every weeks.

Here is an easy way of putting it: the more the fish eat, the more they poo. Fish are essentially living in a toilet and the only way to clean up after them is by flushing the toilet with a water change.

Tell her she's noob, and tell her about nitrogen cycle, and tell her you know more about it that her lol.

Tell her about nitrates/phosphates buildup must be taken out sometime.

50%WC is not big deal, I do it every weeks.

Um, that's probably NOT what the OP should say to their mom.

Take a look at our articles section here. Articles - Aquarium Advice

There are a few articles about cycling that you could show her. Be polite, have a reasonable discussion with her. That's all you can really do.

FishyWater, you have my sympathy. My Mum continually questions why I 'mess' with the tank when it looks fine. I've tried to explain with no success.
I am 55 and she is 79. Nothing changes :)
Good luck with your tank!

My family thinks I'm crazy with what I do for my fish. I found the most effective tool was showing them pictures of a sick fish as a result of poor water quality. They then understood why I do so many water changes and fuss so much (although still couldn't believe my dedication).

Back
Top Bottom