I really need some help with my tank,please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mendhigirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 40g long with 3 orandas.And about 1million bugs!!!Not in my tank,just above the water line and on the underside of the lid.These things are no where else in my house or in any of my other tanks.They look like little fruit flies(but they do not fly)They do sort of hop like fleas!What the heck are they???Does anyone know?Or know how to get rid of them,without harming my little fishies?
Please please help.
Thank you
mendhigirl

They do sound like fruit flies, and I really don't know a good way to remove them except with a paper towel. This would be tedious, but wouldn't harm your fish.

Can they be fruit flies if they don't fly?Also my tank is between my kitchen and dining room,so why aren't they in my kitchen,where there is much better food,I assure you,than at the top of a goldfish tank?
I have tried the paper towl thing,but it didn't make a dent in the population.They hop away from me when I try to wipe them off.But I do get quite a few.My guess would be,it would take months,if ever,to get rid of them.Are they a danger to my fishies?
Thanks for your help.

Sounds like springtails to me. i have them in one of my tanks too. Wish i could help you but i cant get rid of them either. Mine are in a goldfish tank too, I wonder if theres a relationship?

Anyway, i manually remove as many as i can about once a week cant get completely rid of them either.

I take a clean, never used for anything else, plant mist spray bottle with clean water and a damp paper towel. mist the heck out of them, they kind of stick whereever they are, then wipe up as many as you can, and flush the paper towel, or take it straight outside to the garbage, dont leave it inside the house!

I could have sworn a dozen times I got 'em all, but they keep coming back.

They have done no harm to my fish, they are just a pain. They dont get on house plants or anywhere more than 6 inches away from the water.

Sorry thats prolly not much help, but it's all i got. If you come up with something, let me know, I'd love to get rid of the little buggers :!:

Springtails?Too bad that is such a cute name,for such pests!So,I just have to get used to living with them?Gross.I will keep wiping off the slow ones,I'll let you know if anything else works.
Thank you!

AHA!! I have looked up the 'springtail'thingys on the internet all day!! Those are definately the culprits!! Too bad no one knows how to eradicate the little creeps,except for exterminators.They also infest 'wet' houseplants,apparently,the cure there is to dry the plant out.Think if I tore down the tank,and let it dry,they would migrate to my others?

Just wondering.... Would one of the tiny shop vac (wet/ dry) works? Wonder if sucking them up just above the water line enough to vacumm them out.

:?

Barney, That is such a good idea. Such straight forward logical innovative advise. I don't have many kudo's, but here comes 25 anyway. And 1 attaboy to boot.

ATTABOY Barney :D

Just wondering.... Would one of the tiny shop vac (wet/ dry) works? Wonder if sucking them up just above the water line enough to vacumm them out.

Very good suggestion, Barney! Certainly worth a try, make sure its a wet/dry type. I have an old shop vac, dry only.

Back
Top Bottom