I think I may have over heated my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pedikeens11

Aquarium Advice Regular
During the warmer weather I had my window open and turned up the tanks heater a smidge. Waited an hour then another hour and checked back to make sure it was gona stay at the normal 76 or get too hot. Everything was good so I went about my day and did my 11 hour shift at the hospital. Came home to check on my friends and the water seemed cold to my hand but the temp said 77. Forgot about my window being open and went to bed. Got up and checked on my fish. Stuck my hand in and assumed that the water was way to cold and my heater was broken even tho it was reading 77. Bumped my heater up and came back to a tank temp reading 81. My cories are fine swimming around doing what they do but my other fish are swimming into the sides of the tank. What should I do? Will they be ok?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Slowly turn it back down. It's the only thing you can do. Hopefully everyone is no worse for wear. I had a heater go defunct on my once and the temp got to 91. My neon tetras were practically white. No one died though, and once the temp was normal they colored back up.

Also, just a hint for the future. If you've been in a cooler area your water will feel toasty at 77. If you just came in from a jog and are sweating like a pig it will feel cool at 77. I would trust your thermometer for the most part and not go by touch ;)

Im realizing that now as I took a thermometer out of another tank I have and watched it climb up to 81....ive been decreasing the temp slowly...just sitting and waiting is killing me!! Thank u venymae!!

Tank temp is back down to around 78...fish are doing great!!!

Something to keep in mind for the future should you encounter this again. Quickest way to bring piece of mind would be a PWC and air adjustment. It works both way if too warm or too cold. If it's too warm, turn up air flow or add another stone while replacing with water a degree or two colder and vice versa for too cool water. Decrease air flow (temporarily only) and replace with warmer water.

Thanks treemanone2003 I will keep that in mind...but I think ill be moving the tanks away from the windows!!!

Thanks treemanone2003 I will keep that in mind...but I think ill be moving the tanks away from the windows!!!

Lol. Understandable. I currently have 4 running and due to New England climate, none are on an outside wall.

Yes the weather in new England is driving me crazy!! Poor fisheries suffered due to it!!

Back
Top Bottom