Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Angry I think Kuhli Loaches are under appreciated!!!

You know I really hate, how clown loaches and yoyos and zebras are all more popular than kuhlis when kuhlis are a GREAT species the stay out of the way, can live with almost any species, clean gravel and decor and are amazing to watch! The only bad things are they can dissapear for months in the gravel and eat algae wafers, which isn't a problem for most because plecos eat them too. And if you have 6+ kuhlis you will see them much more and will be more willing to come out and play with their species!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have 3 in my 25 gallon I really wanna add at least 2 more they are amazing, interesting, and just cool to watch. They hang on your plants peak through their hiding spots I love them

Old 10-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I plan to get at the least, 6-7! And as you can see I am a huge Kuhli fan!!!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ever since I got mine me to
Old 10-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait54 View Post
Ever since I got mine me to
What a beautiful Kuhli!!! How long is he?
Old 10-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I want some but I can not find them anywhere
Old 10-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Have you asked you're LFS if they can order some in? Even if you pay extra?
Old 10-08-2011, 12:23 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just curious where your data comes from that kuhlis are less popular than yo yo's, clowns, and zebras.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:34 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama View Post
Just curious where your data comes from that kuhlis are less popular than yo yo's, clowns, and zebras.
1. On the site I refer to for most of my fish care instructions, I noticed they have pages for clowns, yoyos and zebras, but not kuhlis.

2. If you type in loaches in any aquarium forum search bar I garentee you that you will see more about the others than kuhlis.

3. At my LFS they have a tank full of clowns and a tank full of yoyos and zebras. But when you go to the Kuhli tank they only have three and don't have a tank to themselves...

But it's my opinion so if you dont agree, I won't blame you...
Old 10-08-2011, 12:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I want kuhlis really bad! Can you give me some info on how to care for them please?! They will be in a 56 column.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

They are about 2.5 maybe 3 inches I watched them grow up at my LFS. Once they started getting color I snatched them. My LFS just got some more in I might just get 3 more they would be way happier!!!
Old 10-08-2011, 12:51 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I love mine. Took me about 6 months to find someone to ship to PR and who had them available.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:53 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Care Level : Easy-Medium, tank needs to be well covered so it can't squeeze out

Size : 3 - 4.5 inches (8-11 cm)

pH : 6 - 7

Temperature : 75F - 85F (24C - 29C)

Water Hardness : medium soft to medium

Origin / Habitat : Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Java, Sumatra, Borneo, Sarawak

Lifespan : approximately 10 years in well kept conditions.

Temperament / Behavior : Peaceful; most active at dusk; feeds at night, hides during the day

Breeding / Mating / Reproduction : Breeding can be difficult in the home aquarium. The eggs buried beneath the surface and stuck to plant roots. Most breeding is done by accident when many coolies are put into a tank and they mate by themselves. The best way to breed them is to get a bunch of them and get a tank with an under gravel filter and leave only coolies in the tank and leave it alone for a few weeks, while still doing the regular maintenance.

Tank Size : 10 gallon minimum

Compatible Tank Mates : Many due to peaceful nature. Just don't keep with fish big enough to eat them. They prefer to be kept in schools of 3 or more.

Fish Disease : susceptible to regular fish diseases, no specifics - Freshwater Fish Disease - Diagnose, Symptoms and Treatment

Diet / Fish Food : Scavenger, sinking food pellets preferred, live foods

Tank Region : Bottom dweller

Gender : Female coolie loach may be more plump when ready to breed.

Similar Species : Loaches

Extra : They prefer sand for a substrate instead of regular gravel. If sand isn't an option, use very smooth rocks for the bottom so the loaches don't scratch up their body. - sources:fishlore.com

I would recommend 6-9
Old 10-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
They are about 2.5 maybe 3 inches I watched them grow up at my LFS. Once they started getting color I snatched them. My LFS just got some more in I might just get 3 more they would be way happier!!!
I would, you will see more of them, which is a amazing spectacle!!!
Old 10-08-2011, 12:57 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desastre View Post
I love mine. Took me about 6 months to find someone to ship to PR and who had them available.
I couldnt handle waiting that long, you must have a lot of patience!!!
Old 10-08-2011, 12:57 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhli Loach

I would, you will see more of them, which is a amazing spectacle!!!
I love it when they hang off my java fern and just chill it's great!
Old 10-08-2011, 01:03 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Talking

Quote:
I love it when they hang off my java fern and just chill it's great!
I could watch them for hours!!!
Old 10-08-2011, 01:07 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhli Loach View Post
Care Level : Easy-Medium, tank needs to be well covered so it can't squeeze out

Size : 3 - 4.5 inches (8-11 cm)

pH : 6 - 7

Temperature : 75F - 85F (24C - 29C)

Water Hardness : medium soft to medium

Origin / Habitat : Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Java, Sumatra, Borneo, Sarawak

Lifespan : approximately 10 years in well kept conditions.

Temperament / Behavior : Peaceful; most active at dusk; feeds at night, hides during the day

Breeding / Mating / Reproduction : Breeding can be difficult in the home aquarium. The eggs buried beneath the surface and stuck to plant roots. Most breeding is done by accident when many coolies are put into a tank and they mate by themselves. The best way to breed them is to get a bunch of them and get a tank with an under gravel filter and leave only coolies in the tank and leave it alone for a few weeks, while still doing the regular maintenance.

Tank Size : 10 gallon minimum

Compatible Tank Mates : Many due to peaceful nature. Just don't keep with fish big enough to eat them. They prefer to be kept in schools of 3 or more.

Fish Disease : susceptible to regular fish diseases, no specifics - Freshwater Fish Disease - Diagnose, Symptoms and Treatment

Diet / Fish Food : Scavenger, sinking food pellets preferred, live foods

Tank Region : Bottom dweller

Gender : Female coolie loach may be more plump when ready to breed.

Similar Species : Loaches

Extra : They prefer sand for a substrate instead of regular gravel. If sand isn't an option, use very smooth rocks for the bottom so the loaches don't scratch up their body. - sources:fishlore.com

I would recommend 6-9
Thanks!!! I was thinking 3 or 4 since they are so large and are only bottom dwellers. Would I still be able to see them? Also with it being a column style tank Im not sure if there would be enough ground space. Plus I want to have enough room for some other schools. What do you think?
Old 10-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Talking

I would get 5, because I have a 30g tall and have 1 gourami, 5 danios, 4 tetras, 1 bristlenose pleco, and 7 kuhlis you should have enough room, just plan everything put well!!!
Old 10-08-2011, 01:17 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhli Loach

I couldnt handle waiting that long, you must have a lot of patience!!!
Yeah and alot of searching. Got mines from California so they had a long trip to PR.

Tags
kuhli, kuhli loach, loach, loaches

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com