ich problem and heater!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willest

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey guys so i really need help!
my tank got ich and im treating it with kordon ich.
my problem is i have a 150 wattz heater and i have my setting at 87degree because i read ur tank should be 85degrees+
but my tank thermometer only reads 83 :(

what should i do? buy another heater? add another one? or replace and get a stronger one?

also should i change my water everyday or other day till the ich and medication is gone?
please help! :):thanks:

I'm no expert but I'd imagine changing water daily would dilute the meds rendering them useless, I've had ich twice, the first time I used meds and I lost 3 out of 15 fish, the second time I just used temperature and lost 0 fish which makes me lean towards the heater being your most important weapon. I've had problems in the past with heaters not calibrated properly so I use 2 different brand temp gauges on my small tank and an expensive, more accurate 1 on my large tank.. Maybe start by adding an extra temp gauge before you rush out and buy a new heater. Remember, while you can see the ich, nothing you do will have any effect so you have time
( I'm assuming that you've researched ich, it's life stages, when its vulnerable etc? )

Back
Top Bottom