If it aint one thing....(pink water)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christmasfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been battling algae most in the big tank. I know it is overstocked (by a good 8 in)...but I keep my params all zero. Only nitrates come up at under 10 now and again. the color cycles from a slight milky color to pink to green on no real timetable.
would a Diatom filter get this junk from the water column?
It is planned purchase anyway....

The fish are all happy and bright..I have my tetras coloring to warn me of anything.As long as the BKG glows in the dark and the tetras have neon tubes installed (the penguins all display bright blue pinstripes under their black stripe and the rummys could guide Santa)...all is good and I don't need to test off schedule at least.
But that stuff annoys me. If I darken to kill it the plants die..I lost all riccia and stemmed plants when I starved the stuff last time.
The dutch tanks just turn to blackwater tanks as desired..low pH and acidic with zeros steady, but this tank is a pita. Maybe it is a cursed size?(40)
Will it go away on its own? Nothing ever sticks except the occasional puff of diatoms becuase of the bamboo silicates. It just clouds my water :evil:

Allivymar said:
I had a similar issue in my 55g. I did all the stuff they say to do; limited feedings, blocked out the lights, frequent water changes. Nothing worked. I finally used a diatom filter. Know what? It hasn't been a prob since.

ah-ha..there it is in the GREEN water post.....heh
Diatom=YES :twisted:

*grin*

I lurve my diatom filter. The only tank I've had real probs in has been the 55g; if it even HINTS of murkiness I pop that puppy on. It was also a godsend with the planted 15g; the Onyx sand mucked the tank up badly; took a little while for that to clear - maybe 2 hours or so.

Patience? Whats that? ;)

LOL I prefer to be able to see my fish pat; 55 gallons of green water is a bit much anyway LOL This was my tank during the first 5 mins of diatom filtration:

Back
Top Bottom