I'm new to the forum and I need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rpbustillo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 45g freshwater aquarium my alkalinity was low so my neighbor added some pickling lime to the water (he has a reef aquarium) my ph spiked and my bala sharks immediately died I took all my fish out (the ones that were still alive) and replaced half of the water and added ph down tabs all my levels are now testing fine but I'm not sure if it is actually safe to put my fish back in???

I would do at least daily 50 percent water changes for a week to get your tank back to normal. Also, stop using the ph down, those chemicals will cause more harm than good in the long run.
If you want to raise your alkalinity naturally, try adding a bag of crushed coral to your filter, or google more natural ways to increase alkaline.
Best of luck to you, I hope your remaining fish recover ok. Keep in mind that while some fish "prefer" more alkaline or acidic water, all fish do better with a stable ph, no matter what that level is.

Thanks for your quick reply I just got the fish back into the tank tomorrow I will do another WC. My remaining fish are two gourami, one swordtail, and five angelfish.

Also if your ph is to high out your tap i use prime as a water cond and for some reason it lowers my . ph a little good luck.

0. Welcome :)
1. Purchase an API Testing Kit
2. Never play around the the PH of your tank
3. Bala Sharks grow too big for 45G tanks, either re-home them or look up stunting

The bala sharks are now gone they where the first to die :( my tap PH around 7 KH around 50 GH around 10

As you do the water changes the original chemical put in will slowly dissipate because of the new water. I would make sure to keep an eye on everything but also once you get the test kit that will help a lot.

Back
Top Bottom