Indian Almond Leaves - Opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
I live in an area with fairly high PH water. It's quite steady at 7.8 with a GH of 100 or more. I've been trying to build up a school of Julii Corys in my community tank along with some Zebra Danios and some Oto cats that seem to be doing just fine. The Juliis don't seem to like my water though. I lose 2/3 of any new batch I get within 2 to 3 days and the ones that remain dart around in what looks like an unhealthy way and are lethargic the rest of the time. The owner at my mom and pop LFS said that they might not like my PH.

He recommended adding some driftwood to my tank, but I'm already well-planted and like my hardscape (rocks) the way it is for now. I'm wondering if I could achieve the same effect by gradually adding some almond leaves to get some tannins into the water and lower the PH. Is this worth a try or would it mean that I would be shocking them with a sudden PH increase whenever I did a water change? Maybe I should just give up on getting more Juliis and focus on some other hardy fish with a wider range of PH acceptance?

Have any of you used Indian Almond Leaves with good results?

I've used Oak leaves and that is just as effective. Keep in mind there will be some staining from tanis

Yeah, I know it the tannins darken the water a bit. That's why I'm leaning against them and just choosing better fish for my water. If I could get a bigger tank, I'd probably be going with Cichlids, but as it is, I think my next additions will be some White Clouds.

Back
Top Bottom