Is it ok to put old decorations in new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmathis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I am setting up a new 10 gallon aquarium. It's going to be mostly for shrimp with a few tetras maybe. Still waiting to get my flourite before I start to cycle it. But I was wondering, I have a piece of driftwood with some Java moss growing on it in an established 75 gallon aquarium. That I would like to add to the new tank.

Is there ANY chance of introducing any harmful things into the new tank if I do that?

Thanks!

If your old tank is healthy, then chances of introducing anything bad is slim. <Nothing is impossible of course!> Only caution is if you have used any copper based meds in the tank in the past. Copper will kill inverts, so should stay out of a shrimp tank.

Besides, it is near impossible for you to keep your tanks all separate & isolated without a lot of work. I do isolate a QT or a hospital setup. But once you know your tanks are healthy, you can basically mingle stuff between them. <It also would be a lot easier for you to cycle a new tank with media from the old.>

JS is 100% correct.

I have the luxury of having tanks that I can mingle stuff in as well as the a completely isolated 15g plant tank and a 10g QT tank.

I as well on the copper thing have killed verts but have also have verts survive a blatant OD of copper.

+1, not only is it good, If it comes from a healthy tank it will speed up the cycle of the new tank. Go for it! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom