Is it too soon for more fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_Crazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I set up my tank 3 weeks ago and added live plants. I have 2 Java Ferns, 2 Hornworts and 1 moneywort. Last week I added 4 Buenos Aires Tetras (7 days ago). I have been monitoring my levels and nothing has changed at all.

PH has stayed at 7.8, Nitrites have never registerd, Nitrates are 0 and amonia is 0. I do not believe my tank has ever cycled, I think the plants are probably absorbing anything in the water, so is it to early to add 4 Cories into the mix?

The tank is 29gal, Penguin 200 filter, Gravel substrate, 2 Mopani logs, 2 Hornworts, 2 Java Ferns, 1 Moneywort, 4 Buenos Aires Tetras.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Personally, I would wait another 3 days, just to be sure, but it is probable (assuming that your test kits are fresh and working properly) that the impact of the tetras is not enough to negatively affect the chemistry of the tank, thanks to both the volume and the plants.

I would stretch that out to a week. While the plants may be using the nitrogen in various forms, bacteria always get it first. You may be at the point that your bacteria is growing fast enough to use the majority and the plants use the rest. Adding more fish may introduce more than the bacteria and plants can handle. Let more bacteria establish first, then add more fish. Its not uncommon to see no spike in ammonia and nitrate in a planted tank, even during the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom