Is this tank size suitable for a single Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Roughly 55 gal?? I'd go bigger personally.. 75 gal

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A 55 can work but I agree that a 75 is better as it has more water volume an the extra width on the end. Easier for a fish to turn around an keep water quality up

You will be fine. That's got 2 additional inches in with than a 55.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For a fish that can get 14+ inches in proper conditions a 15in wide tank or a 18in wide can make a lot of difference

The foot print is the same as a standard 75 I believe. I was just saying the larger volume can't hurt.. people do them in standard 55's so you've got that beat anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am of the thought that an adult Oscar needs about a 6 foot tank to appreciate its beautiful swimming and to help stop boredom.
I had an Oscar as a two inch jovi which started in a two foot tank, for a few months, then into a four foot and finally into a six foot. He was a majestic giant and great family pet, they can get really friendly. But they are very dirty, destructive and high maintenance. However, if I had the room, it would be my first choice for a big specimen fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi guys.

So people put oscars in standard 55s?
Can I ask, whats the measurements of standard 55s?

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If thats true, then my tank is smaller than standard I guess.

Hi guys.

So people put oscars in standard 55s?
Can I ask, whats the measurements of standard 55s?

Thanks.

55 gallon is 48x12x21 or 48x13x20 depending on the brand.

Ok, thanks mikem.

So you guys were correct in that my tank does have slightly more width than a standard 55. (less height though)

what to do... what to do :)

Ok, thanks mikem.

So you guys were correct in that my tank does have slightly more width than a standard 55. (less height though)

what to do... what to do :)

There is nothing wrong with keeping a Oscar in the tank your inquiring about. It simply comes down to water quality. When the nitrates hit 15ppm change the water, rinse and repeat and you'll be good. I would be surprised if anyone that has commented has actually kept a Oscar much less a full grown one(Mike is off the hook because of his beast:lol:).

Last edited:
You will be fine. That's got 2 additional inches in with than a 55.

There is nothing wrong with keeping a Oscar in the tank your inquiring about. It simply comes down to water quality. When the nitrates hit 15ppm change the water, rinse and repeat and you'll be good. I would be surprised if anyone that has commented has actually kept a Oscar much less a full grown one(Mike is off the hook because of his beast:lol:).

The only thing I will add to this is just the Oscar that's it. No pleco no dithers (I don't think they are necessary for an Oscar)

Thanks guys.

I already bought the tank (its in my profile pictures)

I just wanted 1 large, crazy, smart and interactive fish as a pet.

I was thinking either oscar or flowerhorn. (or some other crazy American cichlid)

With my hybrid I keep décor to a min and nothing that can be knocked over and break the glass. I have since removed the heater because he keeps pulling it off the glass and banging it around.
img_3242253_0_8a24d3aad31e79f0eedf6c540562d959.jpg

Nice fish!
What is it?

Will an Oscar in my tank need alot of maintenance?

Nice fish!
What is it?

Will an Oscar in my tank need alot of maintenance?

What ever it takes to keep nitrates under 15. Your probably looking at 50% to 75% water change every 5 days when full grown.
That is a texas x jag hybrid.

50 to 75% !!!
Man...thats alot.

Aqadvisor says 36% per week, and I thought that was extreme.

50 to 75% !!!
Man...thats alot.

Aqadvisor says 36% per week, and I thought that was extreme.

All my tanks get a min of 75% weekly. The hybrid 50 to 75% every 5 days. You will know how much and how often by testing. When the nitrates hit at most 20 a 50% will drop it to 10 75% to 5. Leaving go higher can cause HITH and stunt growth.

Back
Top Bottom