Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just bought a used light.

For $25, I just picked up a 48" light, thought maybe it was a t5? Not really sure though, but one set of lights has 12000k daylight, the other has Actinic written on it. The fixture also has 4 sets of little blue leds for nightlight but 2 sets are burned up it looks like. What kind of light is this?

Also, there is not a brand name anywhere on the thing, I even took it all apart. Must be a generic thing, OK with me though it works. Reason I am looking is the stand doesn't appear to have all the pieces to mount it to the tank. I just bought an Aqueon Versatop from Petsmart and if I can get it to mount right, can I just set it right on the cover without worrying about it melting? The cover is plastic, maybe lexan or acrylic??

Old 10-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Heres the light set up. Its super bright, I actually got to looking and the Aqueon top is glass, and the light is actually metal surround. I took it apart, looked like there was salt all over it, must have been on a coral tank, and I am guessing that is what this light is for, but will it help grow plants?

Old 10-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can not help with a light/brand ID but I would look into replacing the bulbs with a plant suitable spectrum of light. The 12k and actinic bulbs are overkill on fw planted tank and will be better suited to growing algae (or sw tank). I would not personally set this light right on plastic lid as you will be asking for trouble. Hopefully, some other members can provide some more input here!
Old 10-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk View Post
I can not help with a light/brand ID but I would look into replacing the bulbs with a plant suitable spectrum of light. The 12k and actinic bulbs are overkill on fw planted tank and will be better suited to growing algae (or sw tank). I would not personally set this light right on plastic lid as you will be asking for trouble. Hopefully, some other members can provide some more input here!
I would have to agree. These bulbs are meant for saltwater. Its sounds like its a T5 and those get warm. You might try putting something under the ends of the light to lift it off the glass a bit for air circulation. Good buy for sure though! Can you suspend it from the ceiling?

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

As of right now its sitting on top of the tank, has a tiny bit of room, I am not going to hang it from the ceiling, but have been looking into a homemade hanging system. But I need to move the tank out to drill into the back of the stand. So until I go to switch my substrate to sand and change the dťcor inside(week or two) it will have to do. Also, for light since this is obviously to much for live plants, what spectrum should I go with?
Old 10-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You should be able to buy 'legs' for it, they slide in at the end of the light fixture, and the 'feet" sit on the rim of the tank.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

The t5s (whether they are normal or high output) should be fine over a glass top. Yes they will get a bit warm.
Look for bulbs in the 6700k range. Unless the existing bulbs specify high output, in guessing they they are normal output bulbs.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean View Post
You should be able to buy 'legs' for it, they slide in at the end of the light fixture, and the 'feet" sit on the rim of the tank.
I was looking but couldn't find anything that I think would work.

Also, Should I replace all 4 bulbs with 6700k? These, I have found, are power compact bulbs. About 22" long, with 4 pins that go straight across. Right now there is a set of 12000k and a set of Actinic.....so I just replace them all directly?
Old 10-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullnugget View Post

I was looking but couldn't find anything that I think would work.

Also, Should I replace all 4 bulbs with 6700k? These, I have found, are power compact bulbs. About 22" long, with 4 pins that go straight across. Right now there is a set of 12000k and a set of Actinic.....so I just replace them all directly?
Could you post a pic of the bulbs including the ends?
Regardless of the bulb type you could replace them all if you have the new bulbs or swap them out incrementally.
And they all do not have to be 6700k. You could do two 6700k and two other "colors". Generally dual bulb t5 setups for planted FW include a 6700k bulb and a rosette bulb to balance out the color (for the appearance).
Old 10-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Any combination of 10000K, 6700K, and 4000K-ish (the red ones) will be appropriate for FW. You're basically adjusting it for your personal taste at that point, not so much for how well it grows plants.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Could you post a pic of the bulbs including the ends?
Regardless of the bulb type you could replace them all if you have the new bulbs or swap them out incrementally.
And they all do not have to be 6700k. You could do two 6700k and two other "colors". Generally dual bulb t5 setups for planted FW include a 6700k bulb and a rosette bulb to balance out the color (for the appearance).
Heres a pic, they go half way down, 2 bulbs on each end.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

It appears to be straight on compact fluorescent bulbs. Here is a 6700k bulb on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002DV...pi=SL500_SS115
I could not determine if the length of the bulb from the link above matches what you need for your fixture. If you do find the 22" bulb, I'd swap out the actinic bulb for the 6700k bulb.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I just looked at the pic in the link and the bulb appears to be 21"
Old 10-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks, I'll measure it after it cools down, but I'm guessing 21 22" since its a 48" fixture

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Light | New lights »