just got 55 gallon free

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid.greenhorn

Aquarium Advice Activist
A freind at work just gave me an old 55 gallon out of his garage. Best part is it looks good, no scratches complete hood and working light. Already cleaned it and set it up. Has some media from my mbuna tank running thru it with a penguin bio wheel 200 right now. Kinda want a planted tank cause they look so neat and natural. But looking for ideas planted/comunity tank? Plus do certain comunity fish do better with certain plants? Seems like all new territory when you focus on just one type of fish. I just don't want two of the same tank setup. Also do you add fish or plants first? Suggestions or tips please.

I would say add plants first, then fish. That way your cycle will be very fast between the plants and filter media. I don't think certain fish look better with certain plants per say. You could go for like a biotope/regional look, or you can just do what you like. Pick out some fish that you like the looks of. Then try to come up with a stocking or post the fish you like and we can help you. You will enjoy the world of planted aquaria!

Mumma.of.two said:
If you've added seeded media you'll want to start cycling (fishless or fish in) ASAP so the BB don't die off.

Thanks, its funny how you start a project and forget to do some of the most important things. Got ahead of myself and just started making plans.

As far as stocking, I kind of wanted ghost shrimp. So what gets along with those? Maybe rosie barbs and guppies, friendly schooling fish. Also is there a bulb I should look into for a planted tank?

Almost any fish that is not very aggressive will not bother ghosties. You could do a couple schools of barbs and then some guppies as the main attraction. Maybe something like:

3-5 Guppies
12 Cherry Barbs (or other small barb)
7 Rosie Barbs (or other large barb)
Unlimited Ghost Shrimp (the add very little to bio-load and are just awesome janitors!)

As far as bulbs, what kind of fixture do you have? Regardless, you will need a bulb rated around 6,500K-10,000K. This spectrum of lighting most mimics what the sun delivers and thus grows plants very well. These bulbs are often labeled as "Daylight" or "Bright White".

Definitely try to get something in the tank soon, or put the media back in the filter of the cichlid tank so the bb don't die.

What about some bigger tiger barbs, angelfish or mollies? Also should I up my filtration ( have the penguin 200 bio wheel only running) I have another I could add, but no seeded media for it.

Well, you must be careful as tiger barbs are nippy and may find an angelfish fin as prey. You must decide if you want semi-aggressive (tiger barbs and the like) or peaceful (cherry barbs, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom