Just witnessed first hand how fast chloramine kills fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i3k

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In 12 years I have never forgotten to use dechlorinator after a water change. Today I forgot. it only took 20 minutes to kill my red tail shark. :(

Interesting... I have a co-worker that kept a goldfish for several days in untreated water. I suppose the chlorine would've disappeared on its own after a day though. The end result was the same, however.

Chlorine irritates/burns the gills. However, Chloramine gets into the blood stream and poisons the fish fairly quickly.

In 12 years I have never forgotten to use dechlorinator after a water change. Today I forgot. it only took 20 minutes to kill my red tail shark. :(

That is sad news. :(

I assume it got into his gills first?

Edit - sorry, just saw it went into the bloodstream. Can I ask what the signs were if ok?

That is sad news. :(

I assume it got into his gills first?

Edit - sorry, just saw it went into the bloodstream. Can I ask what the signs were if ok?

Gasping for air at the top...after about 20 min the poor fish just laid on the bottom breathing rapidly. Took about 45 min for the fish to die.

From what I've read, chloramine gets into the bloodstream and binds with iron in the red cells hemoglobin causing a reduced cell capacity to carry oxygen.

Water companies used to use chlorine only but it 'airs' off after a while, rendering it useless.
I think they use chloramines because it doesnt 'air' off all

I think that is what I've seen as well. Also it is preferred if the water has to be piped a long way over several hundred kilometres or miles.

25 years ago a left the hose running to fill a 25 gallon outdoor tank. I fell asleep by accident on the couch and when I woke up from my nap all fish were dead and water over flowing onto the ground. A few years later this happened again to my 95 gallon community tank. Never sit down to rest when water is running. I wish someone had taught me that. I had more than 25 aquariums and it can get tiring changing water late at night.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

25 years ago a left the hose running to fill a 25 gallon outdoor tank. I fell asleep by accident on the couch and when I woke up from my nap all fish were dead and water over flowing onto the ground. A few years later this happened again to my 95 gallon community tank. Never sit down to rest when water is running. I wish someone had taught me that. I had more than 25 aquariums and it can get tiring changing water late at night.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not learn the lesson first time around then? Lol. These things happen tho i guess. Just dont let it happen for a third time haha

Back
Top Bottom