Keeping a fry tank cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctordamen

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 5 gallon tank that I did a fish less cycle on. It's been done for a couple weeks now and I'm just waiting for my rams to lay agains again to collect, question is... Should I keep dosing it to 4ppm every day or two to keep the cycle going or would adding some cherry shrimp be okay and produce enough ammonia to keep the cycle going?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use pond snails to keep mine going. It's a little harder to maintain perfectly but the only fry I've lose in the last 4 groups where a couple deformed ones I fed to my Betta and mollies

Sent from peliper

I don't bother cycling a fry tank. They don't produce a whole lot of waste and yes you are feeding quite a bit, but you should be doing water changes daily or at least 3xs a week. I do 10-15% daily so I only use an air stone. If you're hoping to raise rams, make sure you have appropriately sized foods for newly free swimming fry as they aren't near big enough to take bbs until 4-5 days free swimming. I like to feed mine newly hatched cyclops and daphnia so feedings on the bioload, but microworms and vinegar eels work well too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I keep my QT ticking over with ammonia at about 2ppm daily. I find this is a better way to know that the filter is working at that rate. Keeping RCS or snails is also ok but you don't know the amount of ammonia being produced and therefore how robust your filter is.
I do a huge water change just prior to adding stock (reducing the nitrates to less than 20ppm). It works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom