Kuhli Loach injured

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenAngel

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got three kuhli loaches the other day. I have never had them before and everyone was out swimming in the tank great the first day. They weren't shy at all. The second day I looked and only saw one. I found the other had gotten stuck in the filer intake, and another is still MIA but I know they're shy fish so I'm not that concerned. I am concerned about the one who was stuck in the filter though. The filter is an aquaclear 70, I have no idea how he got between the two sections on the pipe but he did and he is injured. Is there anything I can do to help him heal faster? He was stuck yesterday and is still alive today, here's a pictureImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413416982.177533.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is there anyway I can prevent this from happening again?

Sorry about the fish, I hope he pulls through :( Loaches love current and I've had loaches of all kinds swim into the filter against the outflow, as well as try and go through the intake. Best way to prevent it is to create a barrier around the intake that deters or prevents them from getting sucked up.

When it became a problem in my 55 gallon loach tank, I set up powerheads with sponges over the intake. They greatly prefered the powerhead flow to the filter flow and the sponges kept them from getting hurt.

Stress coat or prime or anything that restores slime coat should help fix him right up.

Alright thanks, I'll add prime to the water. As far as the sponge goes can I just place it in the intake to block it off?

Back
Top Bottom