Kuhli Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayhawks12279

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 125 gallon freshwater community. I want Kuhli Loaches as my only bottom feeder in the tank. I have 5 already and my question is how many should I have in a tank that size? I was think of adding 5 more.

LOL... depending on the rest of your stock list you could easily add 50 more in a tank that size. :)

honestly they add very little to the bioload in a tank that size i would want 20+ they are ALOT more active and brave in larger groups

If you could tell us more about your future plans for the tank, as well as what stock you have now, we could help you nail down a specific number for them. :)

Just a regular community tank, not too full but full. Just wanted to figure out a basic number of bottom feeders for that surface area. Judging by everyone's comments I think I might add 10 more and have 15. I appreciate everyone's comments.

severum mama said:
If you could tell us more about your future plans for the tank, as well as what stock you have now, we could help you nail down a specific number for them. :)

In the 150gal tank currently we have:
8 angel fish
5 tetras that were called blueberries
15 neon tetras
9 red wag Platties
One large pleco, 8-10 inches
One small white spotted pleco, 4-5 inches
9 cory cat fish

I feed a mix of crisps, freeze dried brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, algae wafers. I have a rena canister filter, and do 50% PWC weekly. Nitrates are generally around 20, nitrites hover around 0.

There's gravel with lots of rock and driftwood. Hamill of plants, with many more to come.

What do you think? Do you know of a seller that has good quality and pricing?

Thanks!

ForumRunner_20120910_211109.jpg

Oops... That was supposed to be a handful of plants.
And I left out my chinese algae eater and golden algae eater. :)

Jayhawks, you can always supplement with bottom feeder tablets if you overstock them. I would go with at least 15 in a tank that size because they may not group all together if you have multiple caves/hiding spots. They are more bold when they feel safe in a group. They also will forage during the day if they are hungry but you won't see them very often and not in multiples if they are well fed (during the day).

Angelwings, I don't know. I'm not any kind of an expert on bioload, and it looks like you already have a cleanup crew. They do recommend no less than 5 from everything I've read on them. Kuhlis are my favorite, and they hide quite often so it keeps you wanting to see them more

I would do 20. As mention previously they tend to ne shy at first. I have a bubble wand in my tank and they love to play in tgat area.

i have 9 of them in a 75 gallon and they come and go as they please... I have a mix of the orange/black/white striped and solid black if your fond of them look into weather loaches they get bigger then the kuhlis.... start your self out at least 8 and add on from there

Back
Top Bottom