Kuhli Loaches Refuse to feed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mega_newblar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone... I got a fully cycled 33 gallon with Java Fern, Marimo Mossballs and duckweed. I also have two two marineland HOB biowheel filters. I cycle 25% once a week and add pure RO water.

Heres my stock:
4 Lemon Tetra
6 Pristella Tetra
2 "White Cloud" Mountain Minnows
6 Kuhli Loaches (soon to be 12)
5 Corydoras Julii Catfish(soon)
11 Blue Neon Tetra
6 Zebra Danios

4 Zebra Horned Nerite Snails
5 Amano Shrimp

Java Fern
Duckweed
4 Marimo Mossballs

My question to the pros...

1) Is there a way to stop my amano shrimp from stealing my Sinking Carnivore Pellets? It's starting to really annoy me.

2) My Kuhli's are refusing to eat Sinking Carnivore Pellets. I see them laying all around the gravel, but none eat the mutiple scattered pellets. Are carnivore pellets not the right food?

I'm just worried because I haven't seen them eat a significant amount since I got them. I'm considering taking a shotglass and filling it with bloodworms and lowering it into their den... but maybe they wont eat the worms and they will rot and make a mess?

Any advice would be super appreciated, thanks.

Also, would they prefer live or frozen bloodworms?

Hi there,

Kuhli loaches feed mainly at night after dark and lights out. So hopefully they are eating more than you think.

I feed mine algae thins or algae wafers. As soon as I drop a few in I use a flashlight to watch them come out for them. Amano shrimp will eat any time so may work if you feed the amanos in the day, then feed the kuhlies in the dark.

I'm wondering if your tank might be getting overstocked. I don't know, but I would rethink so many Cory cats, kuhli loaches and the amano shrimp, all of which are bottom feeders. I would worry especially about the shrimp not getting to eat. Maybe others will chime in to help you.

Good luck and enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

When i feed my fish. The kuhlis come going crazy for a for a minuted then back to hiding lol. Like fishkiller said mostly eat at night

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Hi there,

Kuhli loaches feed mainly at night after dark and lights out. So hopefully they are eating more than you think.

I feed mine algae thins or algae wafers. As soon as I drop a few in I use a flashlight to watch them come out for them. Amano shrimp will eat any time so may work if you feed the amanos in the day, then feed the kuhlies in the dark.

I'm wondering if your tank might be getting overstocked. I don't know, but I would rethink so many Cory cats, kuhli loaches and the amano shrimp, all of which are bottom feeders. I would worry especially about the shrimp not getting to eat. Maybe others will chime in to help you.

Good luck and enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
If I move all the planned livestock to a 50 gallon, would it still be overstocked? Or is it a matter of too many bottom dwellers? I can still cancel the corys :-/

Idk, i have 14 in my 40 breeder with 4 panda garras 2 kulhi an everyone looks plump lol

I have about 10 kuhlis in my 125 and rarely see them eat but they are all doing great. I would assume yours eat at night just like mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have about 10 kuhlis in my 125 and rarely see them eat but they are all doing great. I would assume yours eat at night just like mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Idk, i have 14 in my 40 breeder with 4 panda garras 2 kulhi an everyone looks plump lol

Hopin these guys get plump soon. I put carnivore pellets down there and they are gone in the morning so something is eating them.

Back
Top Bottom