Leak test. Am I wasting my time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enki

Aquarium Advice Freak
My friend, who has a very nice aquarium, has been giving me some advice as I dig into this project. As well he should, being the one who inspired me to get back into fish keeping. :)

Anyway, he has recommended a step in the setup process that I have not seen mentioned anywhere else, a leak test.

Is everyone really that confident in factory testing?

I don't expect it to have leaks really, but as he put it, "Wouldn't you rather find out when it is on some cardboard on your bathroom floor, instead of after it is in your living room full of gravel and rocks?"

Hard to argue with that logic...

Well I am proceeding as recommended: Tank on a sheet of clean light colored cardboard, any wetness should show as dark coloration. 24-48 hours and I will siphon it out into the garden.

Anyone else do this?

Never found it an issue with my All-Glass aquariums. I've heard of people doing it, but then again I've heard of people changing the air in their tires.

Probably not a bad idea, but probably overkill.

I usually check any new tank for leaks. You never know. 99% of them will be perfect, but you could have that one that has a little gap in the silicone.

No one is going to suggest that one should not check a tank for leak. However I think that leaky tanks were probably more of an issue when they were angled metal framed with putty, but with modern silicone bonded glass or seamless plastic tanks, leaks should be less of a problem. However best to be safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom