led light all night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggalz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently got an led light it simulates both daylight and night time...can I leave the night time light on. .I've seen tanks that are on all night and even by timer that simulates an actual day and night then day again...I am wanting a new tank that does this so I'm.curious if it's okay or bad for them?

I've got 2 individual T-5 bulbs...one is actinic (blue / violet colors) and the other is "Ultra Sun" (fancy way of saying white). After the sun goes down I switch off the white and leave the blue one on to almost simulate moonlight. I turn it off when I go to bed though, and the fish seem to appreciate the dark because after the lights are off, even the bottom dwellers are swimming around the surface.

I've got 2 individual T-5 bulbs...one is actinic (blue / violet colors) and the other is "Ultra Sun" (fancy way of saying white). After the sun goes down I switch off the white and leave the blue one on to almost simulate moonlight. I turn it off when I go to bed though, and the fish seem to appreciate the dark because after the lights are off, even the bottom dwellers are swimming around the surface.

i've always had the hood kind of lights you get with so we always turned them off before we went to bed..so this is my first new different light...and the new tank i want and plant on getting the light is timed and runs all day and night..it just goes into different modes...my bottom dwellers are out all the time..which kinda surprised me..

giggalz said:
i've always had the hood kind of lights you get with so we always turned them off before we went to bed..so this is my first new different light...and the new tank i want and plant on getting the light is timed and runs all day and night..it just goes into different modes...my bottom dwellers are out all the time..which kinda surprised me..

IMO, they would be fine with a 24 hour light source as long as it's designed for that...but they still appreciate the dark. Fish are instinctively most comfortable in their natural conditions, and there is not always bright moonlight every night in the wild. For example, anytime I add a new fish to my aquarium, I leave the light off for 24 hours so they can settle in less stressfully. I've had much more success with them acclimating faster since I've been doing that.

IMO, they would be fine with a 24 hour light source as long as it's designed for that...but they still appreciate the dark. Fish are instinctively most comfortable in their natural conditions, and there is not always bright moonlight every night in the wild. For example, anytime I add a new fish to my aquarium, I leave the light off for 24 hours so they can settle in less stressfully. I've had much more success with them acclimating faster since I've been doing that.

dont think i'll be getting new fish in that tank anytime soon lol..but duly noted for the next...but i have done that once..turned the light off for a few hours after my last batch of newly added fish..after i acclimated them to the water and released them the other fish were like uh who are these intruders lol....

thankfully with my tank cause its so deep...and what i got isnt as bright as what i should..so the blue isnt really bright especially towards the bottom...i've always heard that fish need rest from the light..so it got me curious to these new lights that simulate real time and read a few people leaving them on

giggalz said:
dont think i'll be getting new fish in that tank anytime soon lol..but duly noted for the next...but i have done that once..turned the light off for a few hours after my last batch of newly added fish..after i acclimated them to the water and released them the other fish were like uh who are these intruders lol....

thankfully with my tank cause its so deep...and what i got isnt as bright as what i should..so the blue isnt really bright especially towards the bottom...i've always heard that fish need rest from the light..so it got me curious to these new lights that simulate real time and read a few people leaving them on

Good deal. Are you going to fishless cycle the new tank? Check out the link in my signature. I'll help you along the way if you need any info.

i dont really do all of that...i just add water from another tank...and have it going for a week or two...check ph etc to see where i stand..make changes if need to be...and if not i buy fish..but i have read about it and did reed your link :O)

honestly the whole messing with amonia as well as c02 just scares me..i'd end up blowing the house up...lol..and i have ran into so many issues this time around with fish....which has costed me twice the amount of money spent..

giggalz said:
i dont really do all of that...i just add water from another tank...and have it going for a week or two...check ph etc to see where i stand..make changes if need to be...and if not i buy fish..but i have read about it and did reed your link :O)

honestly the whole messing with amonia as well as c02 just scares me..i'd end up blowing the house up...lol..and i have ran into so many issues this time around with fish....which has costed me twice the amount of money spent..

You're free to do what you like...just remember that water from another tank does not contain the beneficial bacteria that's needed to cycle a tank. Try to bring as much established filter media from the old tank over to your new tank as possible. However putting media into a tank without adding an ammonia source will starve the beneficial bacteria. Just make sure you test for ammonia every day and never let it get above .25 when you have fish Lots of times, 50 percent pwc's twice daily are necessary to keep fish alive during a fish in cycle. There's a good article about cycling with fish if you need it...just let me know. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom