left heater on during pwc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I left my fluvial heater on with the water below the minimum line for maybe 30 seconds. Should I be concerned?
Ive also left it submerged above the Max line for a very short time once before.

tarpon said:
I left my fluvial heater on with the water below the minimum line for maybe 30 seconds. Should I be concerned?
Ive also left it submerged above the Max line for a very short time once before.

I accidentally left mine on when doing a partial clean & it's still working, I make sure I turn it off now. Just keep an eye on it :)

shellyx said:
I accidentally left mine on when doing a partial clean & it's still working, I make sure I turn it off now. Just keep an eye on it :)

Ive found its best to just put one tank on one powerstrip. When doing maintenance just flip the switch. (put the light on a timer in the other outlet to not upset the time)

I keep mine above the max. Line. I have moved it up more towards the top and think it works best if u keep it at the recommended level. I don't think it will blow up or anything, but I have heard u should unplug before taking them out of water. I guess they could overheat?

Yeah they can fail and kill everything: (
I think it has to do with the rapid heating and cooling

I keep my M300 completely submerged in my sump and it works perfect. They recommend keeping it in the lines but the entire thing is waterproof so there really isn't a worry (just adjust the dial above water). I've forgotten and done PWCs with it on as well with no problems.

If it will be exposed for a while just unplug it to be safe though.

Edit: Corrected the type of heater i have in my sump

Last edited:
I have the fluval M50 and I would love to be able to keep it in the sump. Not sure I'd trust it tho

I posted that completely wrong. I have an M300 in my sump.

I would not trust my E300 submerged

Alright. And I just read on at least 3 or 4 places that it can be fully submerged. Woo!

Back
Top Bottom