Leopard Eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fhqwhgads

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
8O I think I've just found something awesome...I'm seriously considering getting an A. elipsifer eel. Though no much is really known about them, no better place to find out if anyone does have any enounter with them then here. My question perstains more towards compatibility of eels in general. Currently in my tank I have a Fire Eel and couple Peacocks that get along great. However, I'm not so sure about the leopard eel. Getting another tank is always an option that I'm looking into/forward to but he would be starting off in with the others. Placing the peacock eels in another tank is also another option. Any suggestions anyone? I really don't want to miss an opportunity at owning one of these awesome eels. As always, it's greatly appreciated.

This is a popular Tanganyikan eel, and not perhaps as rare as you think. But certainly not found frequently. I've seen them a couple of times at specialty stores.

Yes, by all means get it if you've got a very secure and large aquarium. Eels are notorious escapists, and these are no exception. I do have to say that A. elipsifer is one of the most beautiful eels out there.

As they're Tanganyikan eels, they require a pH near 9!! This is a *serious* consideration. And don't think of combining it with any fish other than Tanganyikan cichlids. This eel will not be ok in a tank for SA eels. :cry:

So, if you think you're equipped to deal with an eel, go ahead. Best of luck--these eels are real beauties! :D

fhqwhgads,

A. elipsifers are very beautiful and incredible eels ! In terms of eels, they are not that difficult to keep, altho as Madasafish mentioned, they have specific water parameters to be met in order to keep them healthy, such as very high pH and KH.

I also would not keep these eels with any other eels as they are known to be aggressive with similar-looking eels in the tank, even with fish that are seen as competition for food, so anything you keep it with should be with similar nutritional requirements as well as large in size so that it is able to hold its own at meal times, and so that it will not be seen as a meal itself.

If you decide to get one, good luck with it - they are a very beautiful addition to East African tanks ! :)

:? Ahh...yes I almost overlooked one of the most important things about these beauties...the water conditions necessary. How ignorant of me. :oops: However I do see this as very possible with further dedication. Still in the debating process...eels are definitely my thing but I wouldn't want to put the poor guy in any stressful conditions...or make any other of my eels feel threatened. Well this is what I was thinking...investing in another tank if I do decide to purchase em'. Still in the debating process though...I feel as though I might be overlooking alot of things.
Thank you! :D

Back
Top Bottom