Life Expectancy of Driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kov

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a piece of Malaysian driftwood purchased from LFS. It's been in tank for 6-8 months, after being boiled vigorously to remove tannins.

When I brush against it during cleaning, now, you can see flakes of the wood floating away. It's obviously going to decompose over time, but how long can a piece be expected to stay in the tank?

Thx,
Kov

It takes years and years for proper aquarium DW to break down. I have pieces on slate that I bought in the late 70's and early 80's that I still use and look no different than when I bought them.

Hello Kov...

Boiling wood softens it. If the piece is very dense and you didn't boil it too long, it could stay together for quite a while. Softer wood will come apart wherever there's a crack or weakness in the piece.

Water is called "the great dissolver". Everything in your tank will eventually dissolve in the water. I would get another piece, maybe something you find locally, if there aren't laws against this sort of activity and replace what's coming apart.

I don't boil the pieces. They'll stay together much longer.

B

I wouldn't waste my money buying new wood or collecting it unless you know what type of wood you've collected. Any DW will be able to have the outer layer scratched off after it's been under water for some time. Even driftwood that won't sink without being held down by slate or something. That is what makes it good for pleco's who need to be able to rasp off the outer layer to help with digestion. Many people boil their DW as they don't want tannins. The piece of wood you have is one of the good woods for aquarium use and unless your going to do a lot of scratching or rubbing on the wood (like constantly day and night for a few years) it will won't fall apart or dissolve and will last for many many years to come.

Back
Top Bottom