Light timers are well worth the money =)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
After months of thinking about it, two weeks ago I finally bought a light timer to try out on my 26g tank. My wife and I have different schedules and go out a lot so the tank was being turned on at various times in the morning and off anywhere between 5pm and midnight. My fish were typically not happy looking when midnight rolled around and the tank light was still on.

The type I bought is a programmable digital timer with a battery backup so it retains the settings if the power goes out. I set the timer to turn my PC light on at 7:40AM, and turn it off at 7:40PM. So far it has been working out great for me. My fish have a very stable schedule and I do not have to worry about the light times at all. The Java Moss in my tank seems to be doing better as well. As a added bonus, I use the tank light as a way to make sure I get to work on time. I need to be up and getting ready before the tank light goes on. Then I feed the fish and go to work ;)

You know. I have one for every tank. I constantly think about actually setting them. But I never get around to it :( It'd save so much time.

grimlock3000 said:
As a added bonus, I use the tank light as a way to make sure I get to work on time. I need to be up and getting ready before the tank light goes on. Then I feed the fish and go to work ;)
SWEET!!!lol :)

I have non-digi timers on all of my tanks. What's the brand name of the digi one you've bought? Also, does it accept a grounded (3-prong) plug, or the standard 2-prong? I can't find the grounded ones around here anywhere, and I need another one to replace one that broke; it'd be great if I could get a digital one. Did you get it online?

yup, the one i bought (non-digi) is lacking the 3-prong :( i wish i had noticed that when before i bought it. flipping through a magazine the other day, i saw an ad for a powerstrip with the timer built right into it. gotta find me one of those! it had four plain outlets, and another four that run through the timer.

The timer I got is a GE timer with a 3 prong grounded plug. I think it is an older model since the GE timers for sale online look different than mine. I had no trouble programming it (once I followed the directions). I threw away the package so I have no idea what model it is. I can take a pic of it when I get home, it was only $7 brand new at a local shop that sells clearance and refurbed electronics. I am going to buy one or two more this weekend if I get the time.

I am kicking myself in the butt for not buying a timer sooner, and for not buying another one for my 10g tank. I was happy to find one for $7 too, since I was planning to spend a lot more money on one and just happened to find this one first.

mad-as-a-fish...i have a GE timer that my AHS lights are hooked up to. it only has one three-prong outlet. i have a small strip running off that so it can handle multiple balasts once i get the big tank set up.

bungle, if you could find out where to get a power strip like that, i'd forever be indebted to you!

"Alternate day-night cycle timer"

what does that mean? if it had two timed outlets for day lights and two timed outlets for moonlights, i'd go with the coralife. the coralife also has a circuit breaker and i didn't say that on the other...

I have a timer on my 20 gallon...have had it for months now. I love it and my fish have a set schedule instead of me turning it on and off whenever. The only thing you gotta watch out for is daylgiht savings (at least with the non-digital ones)...the schedule is off by an hour.

The light turns off on at 10am and off at 10pm. If I still am on the computer or doing stuff and the light turns off and I haven't begun getting ready for bed, I know it's time to get myself into gear :D

I have a timer on my 20 gallon...have had it for months now. I love it and my fish have a set schedule instead of me turning it on and off whenever. The only thing you gotta watch out for is daylgiht savings (at least with the non-digital ones)...the schedule is off by an hour.

The light turns off on at 10am and off at 10pm. If I still am on the computer or doing stuff and the light turns off and I haven't begun getting ready for bed, I know it's time to get myself into gear :D

Back
Top Bottom