Lighting issue with new cichlid tank? Day = Hiding, Scared. Night = Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlwn88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Everyone,

Some of you guys may have read in another topic I made that I now have a recently established 75g tank with new world cichlids and tiger barbs. Well, I bought a couple amazon swords right before it cycled, so I did my researched and beefed up the lighting just two days after. I now have a 48" Coralife lighting setup with one 6,700K bulb for the plants (made a huge difference because the plants were originally under a florescent bulb for a few days until 48" was available) and the other bulb is the one it came with, actinic I believe.

While my tiger barbs quickly made themselves at home, and have already began to recognize me as the person that feeds with all within a week, my cichlids are at a much slower pace...but the reason why I brought up lighting was because I read somewhere a long time ago that cichlids don't like bright lights. When the lights are on they only come out for a little bit. The Severum only comes out if I put an algae clip. The Firemouth, when not being chased by the Blue Acara, usually hangs out under some slate. The Acara will briefly come out only to switch to another hiding spot. If I make any movements they freak out usually. I have to be still. They look at me from time to time but they back up into their hiding spots if I move up to look closer...

BUT! At night, they come to life! I just recorded a video of the Blue Acara playing in the air bubbles coming from the HOB filter and the little Marineland LED bubble thing I have running in there, doing laps back and forth having the time of his life, it was fun to watch. The Severum came out to enjoy some of the action as well. I added just a tiny bit of food and they actually started eating. What's going on here? Is there too much lighting during the day? Or do my fish just enjoy the awesome night life or something? lol.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Temp 76-77
ph 7.2

Any advice would be great. Thanks

EDIT: If you're bored enough to watch the video, here it is
First time I've seen them act this way, it's great.

-Dave

Are your Tiger Barbs showing aggression towards your cichlids at all?

Not at all. They sometimes come close to the cichlids just to check them out but nothing else. The cichlids only case them or scare them off little bit during feeding but that's it. When the Blue Acara is moving around they move out of his way but there's no agression or anything. I've read several articles that barbs made great dithers compared to others for cichlids.

Interesting. I never had any issues with my Africans based on lighting, but I have no experience with American cichlids. How many cichlids are actually in there? If it were me, I'd rearrange some decorations/rocks or whatever. The cichlids may be protecting territory and only deem it reasonable or safe to come out when the lights are off.

Hope someone can chime in to help.

Back
Top Bottom