lighting problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slroo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yesterday when I turned on the lights in my tank one of them was very weak, almost not on at all. I figured since they are a year old it was time to replace them. So I bought some new ones today, but when I turned them on, I have the same problem. Does this sound like the ballast has gone bad? Where can I get a new one? I know nothing about lighting other than what I have picked up from this site.

That definately sounds like the ballast has bucked the kicket. What type of hood is it? Is it an aftermarket light, or one that came with your kit? Might be time to look at upgrading, or maybe make a DIY light like the one I made.

I gutted the light fixture and installed 8 standard screw in sockets in it, wiring them all in parallel to a switch. I then installed 8 15W CF 6500K u-tube bulbs in the sockets. It was a cheap way to make a moderately high wattage fixture for my 30g tank, since the fixture that it came with only accepted a single 15W T8 tube. The sockets were rubber sockets, meant for lighting indoor job sites, and just had the two wire pigtail coming off them. They were $2 a piece, and the bulbs I found at a dollar store for $1 each.

Of course, I'm more than comfortable with AC wiring. Its not complicated, but if you're unsure of it, I'd probably recommend upgrading or taking the lamp to a service place to have it repaired, if it's worth it.

Back
Top Bottom