lighting stress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigfish93

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here's the situation. I am going to get a 55 gallon FW tank. The dimensions are 48" l x 20" h x 13" w. I can't figure out which lighting fixture is right for me. I will have 1 red tailed black shark, 5 tiger barbs, 1 BN pleco, 3 pearl gouramis, and some MTS. As far as plants go, I will have some jungle val. They are low to med light plants. I would like to have some blue moon light so I can watch my tank at night. I am looking for all this to come in one light fixture. I am willing to pay a little extra cash for a good one. If anyone is using a lighting system that fits all these needs could you post a link to it please.

I have a Current USA Satellite 2x65watt Power Compact Fluorescent fixture for my 55 gallon and I'm really happy with it. With that lighting, it will give you around ~2.35 watts per gallon over your 55 gallon tank, which I guess you would consider medium lighting, so that should be good. The good thing about this light fixture is that it also comes with two moonlight LED lights built into the fixture with their own power cords so that you can put them on timers to come on after the daylight lights turn off. The only bad thing would be that you said you wanted blue moonlight and these are more of a white moonlight, but still look pretty nice to me.

Here is a link to the light fixture: Current USA Satellite 48" 2 x 65 Watt Power Compact-Single Strip W/2 Lunar Lights at Big Al's Online

The only other downside is that the default bulbs that come included with this fixture are 10,000K and 460nm Actinic, and the Actinic bulb is pretty useless unless you are planning to use the lighting for a saltwater setup. What I did was just purchased the Dual Daylight 6700K/10000K bulbs that fit the fixture and replaced the bulbs that came with it with those and they have been working out great for me.

Hopefully that helps!

Back
Top Bottom