Lights on or off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I used to keep my lights on for 6 hours (whites for 3 and blues for 3), but for 3 months now I’ve kept them off completely because I had really bad green algae and spent 2-3 hours scraping it off all sides of the glass. I only turn them on now for feeding time and water changes. Should I go back to keeping the lights on or do I not need them on at all?

So if you don't have any plants which need light, it isn't a requirement. You might try just the white lights on for a couple of hours and don't use the blue ones. And see how it goes.

Often not changing the tank water frequently enough or enough volume of water per change is a contributing factor as is over feeding and often using basic flake foods. Some kinds seem to have more Phosphorus which I believe in overfeeding can cause too much and help with a great environment for algae.

It seems to my experience the blue lights encourage algae growth. I always have much more of the stuff growing after leaving them on at night.

Back
Top Bottom