Lights... what do you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommaof4boys

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do you keep your light on all the time? Turn it off at night our during the day? How many hours do you leave it on or off?

Personally, I turn my lights on at 6:30 in the morning so the fish are awake and active when I go feed them. Then I turn off the lights at 9:00 at night. Keep in mind that the longer your lights are on the more prone you will be to algae.

I just turn them off when I am sleeping, fish seem happy and I dont have algae so I think it works for me

Fish need a day & night cycle just like most living creatures for optimum health. Turn the lights off when you go to bed.

Your Lighting Question

Do you keep your light on all the time? Turn it off at night our during the day? How many hours do you leave it on or off?

Hello Mom...

Aquarium fish and plants are for the most part tropical, so they're used to long hours of daylight. I have my tank lights on timers set for 12 hours on and 12 off. The lights come on at 6 A.M. and go off at 6 P.M. Pretty simple.

B

What brand timer works the best? I have been thinking about putting my tank on a timer but never know what brands to buy in the fish store. Glad I saw this post!

Hmm I leave mines on for 8 hours but I have java fern, anubias, anarcharis not very demanding plants and the 12 hour shift sounds smart should I move up to 12 hours?

bowsNrams said:
What brand timer works the best? I have been thinking about putting my tank on a timer but never know what brands to buy in the fish store. Glad I saw this post!

I bought mine for $3 at menards

Light Timers

Hello bows...

I use "Aqua Timer" brand. They're reliable, easy to set and you can get them online for about $8.00 plus a little shipping. The local pet stores should carry them too.

B

bowsNrams said:

I bought a digital at Home Depot for like 15 dollars I think. Works well, even has a setting for daylight savings time!

i got my timers at walmart and Ace, both for under $5 I set mine so they stay on for about 8 hours.. i think they come on around noon usually, but if im ever in the room and the lights off i jus switch it around for a few more hours, im a bit of a night owl, so i like the lights on more at night, i figure its usually dark enough in the rooms during the day for them to pretend its night lol

I run two sets of 2xT5HO current brand lights they come on and off at 10:30, Just cause I want them on if we have company.

I way over paid for these lights the nxt ones I get I'm buying at home depot. Pet stores are way over priced, I should have done more research before I got them. I have to order the bulbs online.

my 30g is in my bedroom and i wake up at 730 each morning and turn the lights on then feed at 830 lights remain on all day until 7 30 at night then i do a nightime feeding for my nocturnal fish at 9 00 pm seems to be working for me no algae blooms and my fish seem happy:popcorn:

Wow, ours are on for generally 8-9 hours a day. I work from home so can turn them on and off manually, otherwise, they would be on timers. 12 hours a day is a long time!

I run two sets of 2xT5HO current brand lights they come on and off at 10:30, Just cause I want them on if we have company.

I way over paid for these lights the nxt ones I get I'm buying at home depot. Pet stores are way over priced, I should have done more research before I got them. I have to order the bulbs online.

As far as I know, Home Depot does not sell T5 HO's. They sell T5 NO shop lights- HN1 and I have like 20 sets wired together over some of our racks of tanks. These are great for the money, but do not provide output that is equivalent to the T5 HO fixtures.

Back
Top Bottom